Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crazee85 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2011, 11:03 AM
    Mailed Federal Tax Return to Wrong Mailing Address
    Hi,

I just now realized that I mailed the Federal Tax Return to wrong mailing address this morning.

I filed a dual-status alien income tax return with resident alien status at the end of the year. I owed some money to IRS, and filed Form 1040v as the payment voucher, and ended up mailing the return according to the addresses written on that form. However, I just realized that dual-status alien tax returns are to be sent to:
    Department of the Treasury
    Internal Revenue Service Center
    Austin, TX 73301-0215

What should I do?

I was thinking of mailing the tax return again to the correct address; however I had only received a hard copy of W-2 and I have already sent it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 13, 2011, 11:23 AM
    Do not worry; the IRS center to where you mail the dual-status return will forward it to the Austin, Texas facility.

It will delay the refund by maybe two weeks.
    crazee85 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2011, 11:29 AM

Thanks a lot AtlantaTaxExpert!!

I just now finished talking to IRS (after a long 15 min wait!), and it seems like they should indeed forward the return to the correct facility...
    jhobb003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2012, 01:45 PM
    Hi
    This is the first year that I have ever mailed my taxes in so I didn't realize the state and federal are not supposed to be mailed to the same location. What should I do because I mailed them in April and I am just now realizing this because I am still waiting on my Federal refund? I am in panic MODE right about now, can you help?

Thank you!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 21, 2012, 05:35 PM
    Like I said in my original post, your return will be forwarded to the Austin facility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

ITIN, Federal and State - Mailing Address [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I Am On H1b Visa And Have Filed My Taxes For The 1st Time In Hrblock For The 1st Time In Usa. I Got Married And Filed Itin For My Wife Along With My Returns. Hrblock Has Done The Taxes Given Me Two Envelopes To Mail My federal And Itin (W-7) To Internal Revenue Service Center Po...

How to return withhold Federal tax I'm from a tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

I'm Komiljon Sharipov Fulbright scholar from Tajikistan (former Soviet Union country) arrived to US in November 2010, Tajikistan has a tax treaty with US, but when I get my stipend Federal Tax 14 % was withhold from it, how can I return withhold taxes

Turn around date for an amended tax return mailed 08/16/09. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm requesting a turn around date for 2007 & 2008 amended tax return checks.

1120: State income tax deductible in federal tax return for corp. [ 2 Answers ]

In our C Corp. we use the Accrual method of accounting. Nevertheless, in our past Federal Inc. tax returns, my accountant (actually, ex-accountant) has been deducting the State Inc. Taxes PAID in the FY, instead of the accrued tax. I want to start deducting the accrued tax, starting this FY's...

Wrong filing status for federal tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I used the wrong filing status. Will the IRS realized the error. I always filed head of household, but incorrectly put in single.

View more questions Search