Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stat1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2011, 11:25 AM
    Computing first-year depreciation and book value
    At the beginning of the year, Logan Services purchased a used airplane for $65,000,000. Logan Services expects the plane to remain useful for 4 years (6 million miles) and to have a residual value of $5,000,000. The company expects the plane to be flown 1.3 million miles the first year.

1. Compute Logan Services' first year depreciation on the plane using the following methods:
    a) Straight-Line
    b) Units-of-production

2. Show the airplane's book value at the end of the first year under the straight-line method.
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2011, 01:30 PM

To calculate straight line depreciation you take the cost of the plane minus the salvage value to get the depreciable base. Next take the depreicable base and divide it by the number of years useful life to get your depreciation per year.

For Units of Production depreciation you take the cost of the plane minus the salvage value to get your depreciable base. Next you take the Depreciable base and divide it by by the total number of miles useful life to get your depreciation per mile. Now you take this number times the number of miles of use during the year to get your depreciation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beggening book value 2450.00 depreciation rate 40% what is the annual depreciation? [ 1 Answers ]

My beginning book value is 2,450.00 my depreciation rate is 40% what is my annual depreciation?

Ethics and Computing Depreciation [ 1 Answers ]

Choi owns a small business and manages its accounting. Her company just finished a year in which a large amount of borrowed funds was invested in a new building addition as well as in equipment and fixture additions. Choi's banker requires her to submit semiannual financial stmts so he can monitor...

View more questions Search