Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JMV061780 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2011, 07:36 AM
    House rental deposit?
    Can I be sued for estafa because of not paying the bills?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 5, 2011, 08:54 AM

Sued for what?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2011, 08:58 AM

Hello J:

I don't know what estafa is, but in the US, you can be sued for not paying your bills.

excon
    JMV061780 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2011, 09:38 AM
    Comment on AK lawyer's post
    I have 2 months deposit and I already used 1 month and the owner wants us out of the house. Since I have unpaid bills which I will settle. I asked the owner if she would refund the 1 month since it was agreed upon prior to my move in. But now that we're moving out she doesn't want to refund. So we left without paying the bills but still negotiating that I will settle the bills if she would refund my 1 month instead of doing so she filed a case of estafa and swindling for not paying the bills. She want to keep my 1month deposit and at the same time she wanted me to pay the bills. WOuld I be sued for that?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 5, 2011, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JMV061780 View Post
    I have 2 months deposit and I already used 1 month and the owner wants us out of the house. Since I have unpaid bills which I will settle. I asked the owner if she would refund the 1 month since it was agreed upon prior to my move in. But now that we're moving out she doesn't want to refund. So we left without paying the bills but still negotiating that I will settle the bills if she would refund my 1 month instead of doing so she filed a case of estafa and swindling for not paying the bills. She want to keep my 1month deposit and at the same time she wanted me to pay the bills. WOuld I be sued for that?
    You are still not making a lot of sense.

First, you keep using the word "estafa", but neither excon nor I can figure out what it means.

Estafa is committed by a person who defrauds another causing him to suffer damage, by means of unfaithfulness or abuse of confidence, or of false pretense opt fraudulent acts.
    The most common place you'll hear about it involves bouncing checks.
    http://liveinthephilippines.com/cont...you-aquainted/

Where are you located?

You are renting a house and paid two months deposit toward the rent? First and last month's rent, perhaps?

And what are these bills for, monthly rent?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rental deposit [ 4 Answers ]

I am intersed in renting an apartment that is still occupied, the landlord says it will be available in 2 month, he is askoing for a 500 deposit to hold the apartment and not show it to anyone else, is this legal?

PA rental deposit refund [ 1 Answers ]

In the state of PA, how long does a landlord have to refund a tenants deposit or notify the tenant why there would not be a refund?

Where Do I Go To Get A Rental Deposit [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I am wondering where in butler county Ohio I can go to get help with a rent deposit?

Rental deposit [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I really need help... heres the situation I filled out an application for a rental property and got approved... the day I put a deposit on it the lady told me it had a rotten roof and stuff had to be fixed and we couldn't move in till it was well here's the problem the property is crap but it...

Rental Deposit [ 1 Answers ]

We live in the state of Minnesota, and at the time our renters moved in we collected a deposit in the amount of $900. They later wanted to get a dog, so we collected an amount of $500 for a pet deposit. The renters turned off the heat this winter and all the pipes froze. Those damages along with...

View more questions Search