Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    malpert Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Laptop to Desktop Computer- how do I share files
    I want to know how to setup the laptop so it can share and get files from my desktop.. I know you have to set directories to share but I can't remember how to do the whole thing.
    Thanks
    Marv
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Look Up File and Print Sharing in Windows Help. I'm assuming you have a LAN with both PCs connected to it. The Help will tell you what you need to do.
    malpert Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 09:19 AM
    The main computer is plugged into cable.. you are in long island so you probably also have cablevison. The laptop has a wireless card... so now what do I do
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Do you have a wireless router? Doesn't sound like it if the main PC is plugged directly into your cable modem. You need to get a wireless router.
    charliec Posts: 61, Reputation: 6

Jan 23, 2008, 05:08 AM
    Another option is for you to get a usb wireless adapter , plug it in to you desktop and create a wireless ad hoc network between the desktop and the laptop which can then share an internet connection and share files. A usb wireless adapter cost less than 40 dollars and its not that difficult to set up the ad hoc network.
    charliec Posts: 61, Reputation: 6

Jan 23, 2008, 05:16 AM
    RadioShack sell a crossover USB cable under their Gigaware Brand than can directly connect two XP/Vista PCs and lets you move files back and forth (about 30 dollars I think).
    Note. You can't use a normaal usb cable as you'll damage your motherbord.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I share Files locally? [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a fool proof way to share files between 5 computers. 2 xp home, 2 xp pro, and 1 win 2000 pro!:mad: thanks for your help

Laptop, desktop,and router hookup [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a dell laptop and a linksys router. I got the router installed on my laptop and it works fine. Problem is, now my desktop won't connect to the internet. I know I have something hooked up wrong. HELP!

Laptop or Desktop? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, been wanting a computer for some time now. Finally have the money. Which is right for me?? Just want something I can write my college papers on, internet and downloading music. Pretty much it. I'd prefer anything but macs. Any suggestions? Or good sales going on? Don't want to spend too much,...

Share files with friends? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very big file (1.2GB) and maybe more that I would like to send to a friend over our internet connection. There used to be a free program called wwwfileshare to do this easily... but not it isn't free. Im sure there must be other programs like this that willl help me without shelling out...

Share my files using a vpn [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I am trying to setup a private network between two remote computers. Each one of the computers connects to the Internet using a dial-up connection. I am running the windows XP VPN server in the first computer and I establish a VPN over dial-up connection between them. The VPN server...

View more questions Search