Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AnnetteLS Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 05:34 AM
    My 1.6 gal Kohler will not fill the bowl properly. It does not leak down.
    Is this a manufacturer defect in design? This toilet is new, but was missing the flush valve. We used the newly replaced flush valve from the old toilet. Inside the tank of this toilet is a rectangle fill box with the 1/8" tube to fill it as the tank fills, water also goes into the bowl. If we set the flush valve to turn off at the water level in the tank, the bowl does not fill up. BUT, if I set the valve to run longer, the tank water spills over into the black box and fills the tank. I just have to determine when to turn the valve off at the level of the bowl I want -- but, it doesn't seem to stay consistent. What the heck? Is Kohler's water saving idea to keep no water in the bowl, but have a HUGE flapper to let the tank water whoosh out faster sucking everything in the bathroom with it?

I like the flush, but I hate the spoonful of water in the bottom of the bowl -- the bowl dirties and smells quickly. Maybe I should direct my comments to Kohler directly as I think this is a manufacturer design. My husband and I are actually arguing over this -- he says it's the wrong flush valve. I say the valve is universal and doesn't have anything to do with how the bowl holds water, that it's because of the black fill box. Ideas? Thanks!

Mar 23, 2011, 08:25 AM
    Upon further research into this commode, it appears to be a Class 5 - Kohler, K-4634. I was incorrect in my terminology -- it is the FILL VALVE that was replaced with a low profile mechanism. Like this: http://www.homefixitparts.com/plumbi...&dept=Plumbing

It has a screw adjustment that turns the water inlet on to allow more water into the tank. If I turn the screw to make it run longer, the bowl fills up because the tank is overflowing into the flush valve "box".

This fill valve has no other parts/floats, only a fill tube that clips to the FLUSH VALVE (now I understand which is which, hahaha) The flush valve has the large flapper (I guess that is why it is considered Class 5) and the fill box is rectangle. (see here: http://www.homefixitparts.com/plumbi...&dept=Plumbing

In any case, upon more discussion with my husband, and I noticed this a few hours later, the bowl DOES in fact leak down. I think we have two issues.. one, incorrect fill valve not putting enough water into the bowl, and two, a leak down problem.

Dang... it's a nice commode, but I guess I'll have to live with it, unless someone wants to start a class action suit since this seems to be a common manufacturer defect. Thank you for your time, of course, if I'm wrong in any of my findings, I greatly appreciate more feedback. :o)

Mar 23, 2011, 08:30 AM
    OH, and we can't return it because #1- I got it from a friend doing a remodel, she didn't like the chip on the front edge of the base (does not leak there, does not affect the toilet).. I bet she didn't like that it only held a teaspoon full of water. (exaggeration, about a cup and a half). #2 - It sat in my garage for over a year before we installed it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kohler 1.6 gallon toilet, bowl not filling to correct level [ 10 Answers ]

This is a new toilet, just installed. It flushes fine, but the bowl does not fill all the way. When it stops filling you can hear water trickling and the level goes down. Any ideas why? Thanks

Kohler 1.6 gal. Toilet taking excessive time to fill [ 3 Answers ]

I have two Kohler 1.6 gal. flush toilets 1 1/2 yrs. Old. They bth just recently started to take excessive time to fill. There is some instructions that say to clean and flush the system but does not tell you how to do it?

Moved 1 Beta from small bowl to 10 Gal [ 1 Answers ]

My friend gave me a beta in a small bowl (with fake plant and gravel). I read into beta care and got a used 10 Gal tank that came with thermometer, used Elite Radiant Heater & used Tetra Filter. Cleaned them all with water only (thoroughly) and bought a new filter cartridge. DAY 1 1. The 10...

Using well to fill 1700 Gal swimming pool [ 1 Answers ]

We are on city water, but also have a well for 2 of the outside hose outlets. I used the well to fill our 1700 gal above ground pool, which was fine until it was about full. The water pressure was erratic and then no more water, so I turned of the pump/compressor. Does this mean that I just...

View more questions Search