Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pghosh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2011, 02:52 PM
    Non-resident filing, no ITIN for spouse, spouse not in country
    Hello,
    Iam filing as a non-resident since my stay was less than 180 days last year. My situation is my wife and daughter came along with me but had to go back immediately (within a month) due to personal emergency at my home in India and I couldn't apply for their ITIN in time due to this. They will be back in May(2011).

In this context,
    a) can I apply for ITIN when they are not here? If yes, how?
    b) and should I wait until I get their forms and then file my return?
    c) Do I need to apply in this situation? Can't I wait until they get back and apply. Will this affect my
    This year's.

*** advise.

Thanks,
    Partho-Ghosh
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2011, 12:53 AM

Your visa type?
    pghosh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 07:20 AM
    Iam on L1 and my spouse and kid on L2.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2011, 10:37 PM

You have two choices.
    Choice 1: You did not complete SPT in 2010, you can file non-resident tax return. You can also deduct moving expenses. Use Form 3903. You do not need ITIN for your family.

Choice 2: You can file resident tax return as Married Filing Jointly. You must wait to file your tax return till you meet the Substantial Presence Test in 2011. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test
    You will get standard deduction of $11,400 and exemptions ($3,650 each) for both of you and dependents. You must both declare your worldwide income for 2010. If you have any foreign income, and on that income you paid taxes in the foreign country, then you can claim foreign tax credit (Form 1116) or you can use Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555). Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income
    You will complete forms W7 (application for ITIN) for your spouse and attach with your tax return. You can also deduct moving expenses. Use form 3903.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

Is spouse SSN/ITIN required for filing tax as "Married but Filing Seperately" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of India. In 2010, I worked in US on H1B from 01-Jan-2010 until 01-Apr-2010.Effective 02-Apr-2010 I moved out of US. On 31-JAN-2010 I got married but my spouse(citizen and resident of India)never travelled to US even though she had an approved dependent VISA. Saying this ,...

US Resident and spouse with an itin [ 2 Answers ]

I am a US resident and my wife has an itin but had no income for the past three years could we file as married filing jointly on my tax returns?

ITIN for spouse of non-resident alient? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US in July 2005 with F1 visa. Now I am on OPT. I filed 1040NR form for federal tax. I can't apply ITIN for my wife because I believe I am a non-resident alien and a non-resident alient can't file jointly. Now I want to file jointly for state tax because I can be treated as a resident...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search