Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IDONTKNOW1998 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2011, 08:58 AM
    How to know if my stepson is receiving ssi?
    My husband is paying child support for 16 and 18 year old children. The 18 year old one has learning dissabilities. Is there a way we can find out if the mom is getting SSI and how much? Does this income reduce the child support my husband is paying. When does the child support stop for them? This is in MA. Thanks.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2011, 10:15 AM

The only way to know is to take the mom back to Court for a re-evaluation of child support. The Court Order should say when support stops. Usually it's when a person reaches majority; however, depending on the disability it can last for life.

I am reading that SSI DOES reduce the amount the non-custodial parents pays; however, this issue has been "kicking" around Congress for a while. So far it has not been changed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can receiving ssi affect your child support payments? [ 14 Answers ]

I am currently paying 500.00 a month for child support for my disable 16 years old daughter. Her mother is also receiving ssi every month for her also. The mother is now trying to take me back to court for an increase in child support. Can my child support payments be lowered now that I have...

Can spouse keep SSI on dependent if they are paying ch suppt and it's less than SSI? [ 0 Answers ]

Husband will be paying 20% which is only 200 monthly. But he gets $400.00 addit for our son from SSI. Can he keep that amount even though I have custody? He says he will give the $400.00 to me, but the legal forms says child support is 20%, which will be less than 400.00. Doesn't really matter...

Ssi ,section 8 receiving an inheritance [ 0 Answers ]

I am from nyc I am on ssi and section 8. I will be getting an inheritance that will be split by 3 two other sibilings. How will that affect my ssi and section 8. I personally went to ssi and section 8 asked this question and all they said was you have to wait and see how much you get. I told them...

Can children of a disabled parent who receives ssi also get ssi checks? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I apply for my 2 babies to receive ssi checks... I've been receiving an ssi check since I was about 18.. the mother of my babies is living back at her mothers because her mother has sarcoma cancer and had her leg amputated up to the tip and the cancer then spread to her lungs so she is...

Child Support for adult child receiving SSI [ 5 Answers ]

My divorce decree states that my child support continues until graduation or age 19, whichever comes first. My son had seizures when he was a baby and was on medication until age 10. After our divorce the ex managed to enable him to get SSI payments. He has recently turned 18 and I know she is...

View more questions Search