Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abm2011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2011, 10:12 AM
    Permanent Residency
    I am a student in the US and plan to graduate in May 2012. I want to do a Optional Practical training after I graduate for about a year. I am on the student visa that will expire in 2012 June. Can I apply for a green card during my Optional Practical training? I am a Zimbabwean citizen and I wanted to know if this will affect my eligibility. How long will it take to process the green card? I have no relatives here, am I eligible to apply for myself or do I need to find an employer that wants to sponsor me to get a green card?

Your responses will be valuable for me to make my decision
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Mar 12, 2011, 11:15 AM

You need to find a basis for permanent residence. Generally will need a US business to petition for you. Long process as an EB-3. faster if you have a USC qualifying relative for FB PR.
    one_4_adventure Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Mar 12, 2011, 01:52 PM
    I went to school in the US (I'm Canadian) and from what I recall I had the option of extending my student visa for up to 1 year to gain work related exp. In my field... Sorry no details other then that, but worth looking into...

P
    one_4_adventure Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Mar 12, 2011, 01:55 PM
    I went to school in the US (I'm Canadian) and from what I recall I had the option of extending my student visa for up to 1 year to gain work related exp. In my field... Sorry not related to permanent residency, but worth looking into...

P
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Mar 12, 2011, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by one_4_adventure View Post
    I went to school in the US (I'm Canadian) and from what I recall I had the option of extending my student visa for up to 1 year to gain work related exp. in my field... Sorry not related to permanent residency, but worth looking into...

P
    Yes, that's the OPT, good for work with any employer, impress them, have them file and H-1B visa for you to work for them for up to 6 years, and during that time, impress them enough to file a labor certification for permanent residence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Permanent Residency in India [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I am Iranian and live in Iran. My parents, my brother and I have made several trips to India over the past few years and we are all in love with the country. We would like to live to India for good. Our family has reasonable funds amounting to around 1 million USD. What are the...

Permanent residency [ 1 Answers ]

sir I have applied for univ in australia for masters in professional accounting but now the news has come that aus govt will not be giving permanent residency for indian students.. is that true.. n I want now to go for canada which is second option.. if they are not providing PR then which is the...

Permanent residency in Australia [ 5 Answers ]

I am diploma in information technology the two years diploma. I don't know whether with this course can I get Permanent residency or not. Some of my friends are telling me that I have to do university to get PR and some of are telling me it depends on the point calculation. Please if anybody can...

View more questions Search