Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LKEWON Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Mar 10, 2011, 05:17 PM
    Service provided but no compensation, no written agreement. Am I plain out of luck?
    There was only a verbal agreement to do the homeowners landscaping project. I completed the 3 month project and supplied all materials and labor as well. It cost me roughly 6500.00 out of pocket and that does not include time and labor. The homeowner was to provide me a room in his home in exchange for the work but has now decided to rent to a new roommate for 350.00 a month. Says I'll have to take him to court if I want anything out of him. Any advice? Steps to take in California?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 10, 2011, 06:13 PM

No, oral arguments are enforceable. Take it to small claims. In the future though, always use written estimates and get costs paid up front.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2011, 07:33 PM

Take him to court, but in the future if it is any sum of money at all, do it in writing.

But verbal agreements are enforceable

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax on tutorial service provided to US students [ 7 Answers ]

I recently subscribed to a site and am answering questions asked by students. The students are paying through the site and the same is given to tutor after deduction of company's charges. Now the company is asking to submit W-8BEN Form. I want to know (1) What is this form about?

Written agreement altered [ 12 Answers ]

I formally cancelled my gym membership (signed gyms cancellation agreement). The next day the gym called me and attempted to convince me to suspend my membership for 6 months and then later, at that time I can decide to continue "without paying an enrollment fee" or cancel. Knowing that I had a...

Charity Deduction for value of service provided? [ 1 Answers ]

If a company provides (donates) a service to a qualified 501 (c)(3) tax-exempt organization, can the value of the service, or a portion of it, be claimed as a charitable contribution? I know that miles to and from providing the service can be deducted, and that hours cannot... ... but is...

No verbal or written agreement [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone collect on a gift, they are now calling loan? Have not seen this person for 4 years until yesterday opened the door and there he stood with 2 other men. Invited him in thinking this was a visit or had not seen him for 4 years. He told me that he wanted the money he had spent on the...

No written lease agreement [ 3 Answers ]

No lease between landlord and myself. Landlord refuses to make repairs. I have not paid rent. Have only been in house for 2months Landlord send a typed letter stating he wants me out in 6days. Is that legal in Indiana?

View more questions Search