Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chandni.skz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2011, 02:41 PM
    How to change from H4 to F1
    Hi,
    I am currently on H4 and I wish to do my Masters degree while I am here, as my husband is on H1 so there were a few doubts in my mind before I go and apply for a change of Visa status;

1) Is it possible to study on H4 visa, for the complete 2 years masters programme - I mean can I attend full time classes and everything?

2) I came to know that I can not apply for OPT/CPT while on H4. So it possible that I change my Visa during or around my last semester when I am about to apply for the OPT? And how does one change the Visa from H4 to F1? Do I have to go back to my native country for its stamping and all?

3) As long as I am on my H4 visa can I avail the residency benefit as I will be in one particular state for at least 12 months before I apply for my colleges. And also is it possible that I get the residency benefits during the mid semester in case my 12 months gets completed during the mid semester?

Thanks in anticipation... and I really appreciate your help!
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Mar 11, 2011, 08:05 PM

1. You can go to college on H-4 but will not be eligible for OPT.

2. If you file for change of status while you are in US, you still need to apply at the consulate in your home country.

3. F-1 is non-resident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hw does a chemical change differ from a physical change? [ 2 Answers ]

Don't feel bad... I have a Yamaha 12 string. It's a "FG-410-12" When I enter my serial number it tells me it was made from 1988 until 1998. However I bought mine brand new and still have the receipt for it dated 1973 so their system leaves a lot to be desired. Every ten years they start the...

What is 'change agent' or 'change maker' or 'change' in Sanskrit? [ 1 Answers ]

What is 'change agent' or 'change maker' or 'change' in Sanskrit?

Would the NPV change if the cost of capital change and why? [ 1 Answers ]

Would the NPV change if the cost of capital change and why?

Minor Name Change/Birth Certificate Change [ 2 Answers ]

15 year old minor, born in Marion County, Indianapolis, IN, living in WI with his dad, mom in FL--with joint custody, would like to change his name to his dad's and has both parents consent. Does this have to be filed in IN? Are there forms that the parents can fill out and file without the...

View more questions Search