Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rbawjaws Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2011, 02:18 PM
    Double slit Experiment
    Can the double slit experiment be scaled up. I read it could be performed with molecules.can it be scaled up towork with say smoke or machine gun bullets
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Mar 10, 2011, 05:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rbawjaws View Post
    Can the double slit experiment be scaled up. i read it could be performed with molecules.can it be scaled up towork with say smoke or machine gun bullets
    I don't usually attempt to answer question in this scientific section simply because I am not a scientist, However, as no one else is offering a comment I will give you my limited understanding.

When you say " Can the double- slit experiment be scaled up?" I would say , no. Wave/particle duality is only applicable when we scale things down to the quantum level. I would definitely rule out bullets. While bullets shot at a double-slit can MIMIC the role of particles they have no possible wave duality. On this basis I would also rule out smoke as have any type of possible duality.

Molecules viewed from a quantum perspective can be considered in the same way as photons of light. That is to say, when considered from a quantum point of view they do have this wave/particle duality.

I don't know if this answers your question.

Tut
    rbawjaws Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2011, 08:56 AM
    Comment on TUT317's post
    Thanks TUT317

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Single slit diffraction experiment [ 1 Answers ]

In single slit diffraction experiment,if violet colour is used instead of red colour then what will happen?

How to write an experiment without really doing the experiment? [ 3 Answers ]

I just need suggestions on the best way to complete these questions for a passing grade.. Observations / Introduction: Describe your observation. Include background information about your observations that you have found using references. List and cite references using APA format. ...

Young's double-slit experiment [ 1 Answers ]

In a Young’s double-slit experiment, a set of parallel slits with a separation Of 0.100 mm is illuminated by light having a wavelength of 589 nm and the interference Pattern observed on a screen 4.00 m from the slits. (a) What is the difference in path Lengths from each of the slits to the...

Double-slit experiment [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how I could preform a Double-slit experiment? Thanks:)

View more questions Search