Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Mar 7, 2011, 11:33 AM
    Limping - unsure of cause
    My Beagle/Australian Sheperd is newly 6 yrs old. She's muscular, a healthy weight, moderately active, and until now has had no health issues.

Starting approximately 4 months ago, we noticed her limping (hind quarters). It varied between the left & right side. We watched closely and thought her leg(s) might have "fallen asleep" after laying in strange positions. The limp would go away after a few minutes of activity.

Now, we're noticing that it's happening nearly every time she gets up from a lying position (if she's been lying for as little as 10-15 minutes). It seems to be getting more frequent and could be on both sides at once (its hard to tell)

We tried glucosamine tablets and though we follow the directions, she vomits within 10 minutes after taking them (she's always taken pills easily - its something in the pill that's making her ill). We tried giving 1 pill instead of the recommended 2 (based on her weight of 50 lbs) but she still vomits. We've discontinued use for now.

Any thoughts/suggestions before we take her to the vet? :confused:
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 03:00 PM

This kind of sounds like what my vet described as OCD when she thought Owen had that instead of the elbow displesia. It is diagnosed through X-rays. I am not sure of what they do for that as Owen does not have the OCD. I am sure one of the dog experts will have more info.

Moggy
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2011, 07:49 PM

I don't want to scare you but I read up on anemia in dogs and it causes hind end weakness... You haven't mentioned any other symptoms but here is a list to check for:
    Weakness (especially in hindquarters)
    Lethargy
    Depression
    Exercise Intolerance
    Lack of appetite
    Fever
    Bloody stools
    Abdominal distention
    Pale mucous membranes (pallor); possible mucosal bleeding (primarily of the gums and nasal membranes)
    Difficulty breathing (tachypnea); rapid shallow breathing; respiratory distress
    Elevated heart rate (tachycardia)
    Bounding pulses
    Heart murmur
    Collapse
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2011, 08:17 PM

She could have hip dysplasia
    Survivor

Mar 8, 2011, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    I dont want to scare you but I read up on anemia in dogs and it causes hind end weakness... You haven't mentioned any other symptoms but here is a list to check for:
    Weakness (especially in hindquarters)
    Lethargy
    Depression
    Exercise Intolerance
    Lack of appetite
    Fever
    Bloody stools
    Abdominal distention
    Pale mucous membranes (pallor); possible mucosal bleeding (primarily of the gums and nasal membranes)
    Difficulty breathing (tachypnea); rapid shallow breathing; respiratory distress
    Elevated heart rate (tachycardia)
    Bounding pulses
    Heart murmur
    Collapse
    Thank you for this. I will monitor her until she gets into the vet. Right now, besides her hindquarter limp, she may be a bit depressed, but that is the only other symptom from this list so far. We attributed that to having a 1yr old daughter & another dog (she doesn't get as much attention nowadays) but I will keep that in mind concerning possible anemia.
    Survivor

Mar 8, 2011, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    She could have hip dysplasia
    I was afraid this could be a possibility. I'm unfamiliar with hip dysplasia but we try to massage her daily and she doesn't feel any different (to us), nor wimper or act uncomfortable.

I'll research this possibility further. Thank you :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2011, 02:13 PM

Hip displasia isn't something that hurts when you touch it, its where the hip ball doesn't fit in the socket and is bone rubbing on bone. It hurts to walk, run and sit. The only true way to find out is by an x-ray. If her hips are bad enough, you will notice her leg line from the hip to the knee is crooked and/or turning into or away from the body. That would be on the extreme end of it.

Good luck to you! Hope its nothing serious.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog limping, [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old dalmatian that has started limping. My mom really doesn't have the money to take him to the vet.. she will if she needs to though. I'm just wondering, how can I tell if it is something serious or if it is just a pulled muscle? He was walking up the steps and then all the...

Dog limping [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a new dog owner, and I have a 1 year old male rottie/lab mix about 60 pounds. He was running around the yard and now he's limping on his right rear leg. I don't see anything, there's no temperature and he has no swelling. Yet when he walks he lifts the leg up in the air as soon as stops. He...

Limping on and off? [ 7 Answers ]

Trink's been walking funny off and on yesterday and today. There are times when it seems like the right hind joint right at the ankle is "stiff", which makes her gait a little odd... hard to describe, but not as smooth and flowing on that leg as the others, with possibly a bit of a swing out. And...

Limping of dog [ 1 Answers ]

My six year old female daschund has started limping. She limps with her left rear leg. The vet could not treat her. What could be the cause?

Limping puppy [ 1 Answers ]

My 8mo. Lab is limping on his back legs. He is not over weight, is up to date on his shots. We are not giving him any supplements. What can I do to help him?

View more questions Search