Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anonymous6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2011, 05:00 PM
    Help with Proof: A cents in B coins --> B dollars in A coins?
    Hi, I need to solve this proof put I cannot seem to figure it out. I'd really appreciate some help!

If a dollar is 100 cents and coins come in 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 cents. Suppose that one can make A cents using exactly B coins. Prove that it is possible to make B dollars using exactly A coins
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 7, 2011, 09:52 AM

The trick here is to notice that that each coin value in cents has a "partner" whose value is in cents. There are seven coin values, which we will call through . Hence:

So 1 = 100/100, 2 = 100/50, 5 = 100/20, 10 = 100/10, 20 = 100/5, 50 = 100/2, and 100 = 100/1.

When you choose the B coins the value of that set is equal to A:

Where is the quantity of the "ith" coin value. Now suppose you select another set, but this time let the quantity of each coin value be set to . The total quantity of coins is then:

And the value of the collection is:

So by choosing the quantities of each coin correctly, you use A coins to get B x 100 cents, or B dollars.

Here's an example: suppose you initially select three 1-cent pieces, two 5-cent pieces and one 10-cent piece. You have:

B = 3 + 2 + 1 = 6 coins
    A = 3x1 + 2x5 + 1x10 = 23 cents

You can now select 23 coins to make 6 dollars as follows:

3x1 100-cent pieces, plus 2x5 20-cent pieces, plus 1x10 10-cent pieces. That's 23 coins with a value of 6 dollars.

Hope this helps!
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Mar 8, 2011, 08:19 AM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    Nice!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Coins value [ 2 Answers ]

these were posted before with some info. Omitted. What is the value of a 1944mercury dime in good condition. There is no mint mark, however there islocated between the "Y" in liberty and the date amark that appears to be the emblem of the freemasons.

Coins [ 3 Answers ]

I wanted to see if anyone could tell me how much, a 1999 Pennsylvania quarter with a S mint is worth, also I would like to no how much a dime that was made in 1912 is worth? I have a tape , a hunting tape, that has dale earnhardt on it, he gets a big deer could someone tell me what it may be...

Various coins [ 1 Answers ]

I have various silver coins and other coins. How do I determine there value.

Old Coins [ 4 Answers ]

I went to a garage sale today and purchased 4 coins, three of them are US three cent pieces with dates of- " 1865, 1867, 1870,". They are in an old cardboard & cellophane holder. The other coin that I purchased is an old replica 1776 coin from colonial america, the package that it is in seems...

Coins [ 1 Answers ]

I found a chinese coin in which it says ten dollars. It looks like it's made of nickel and it has a copper center. It also says hong kong on the bottom. 1994 is the year and chinese letters on the top. How much is it worth and can I exchange it at the foreign currency place.

View more questions Search