Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SDCook Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2011, 12:30 PM
    100 amp panel in garage
    I have a 200 amp main panel in my basement. I want to add a 100 amp panel in my detached garage. I have to run the new line 35 feet across my basement, through a block wall then 8 feet underground to get to the garage. 1. What size and type of wiring should I use? 2. Should I run the underground wiring through conduit to the garage? 3. Do I connect in the main to a 100 amp breaker then to the sub 100 amp??
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 07:20 PM

Item 3 would be the correct method to feed the sub panel.

I need to know if you are planning to use copper or aluminium conductors.

If you use rigid metal or intermediate metal conduit, the depth would be 6".

If you use an underground cable, then 24 inches, with a ribbon tape warning at about 12 inches.

You need to protect the cable as it passes through the wall with a sleeve. Conduit would be needed only if you need to protect the cable.

You have to use a four wire cable feed from the main panel to the sub panel. Also, you must keep the Neutral and gound isolated from each other at the sub panel.

You will also need to set up a grounding rod system at the sub-panel.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2011, 05:16 AM
    I want to caution that while rigid conduit can be buried only 6 inches generally speaking, if it crosses under a residential driveway or a parking area, it also must be at 18 inch deep minimum.

While a warning tape is only required by Code over a utility service entrance feed, it is wise to install over any underground wiring, no matter if direct buried cable of conduit.

While technically not allowed by Code, I am sure your local inspector will allow you to use #2 aluminum wire. Worst is he will require a 90 amp breaker instead of a 100 amp.

Since you only need have 8 feet that will be underground, you can use #2 Aluminum 4 wire SER cable from the main panel to the new panel, using 1.5 or 2 " PVC conduit to sleeve the cable where is needs to be underground.

Done right, you will not need any splices or junction boxes between both points.

Again, to use #2 Al and follow the Code to the letter, use a 90 Amp breaker in the Main Panel to protect this feeder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Updating service panel to 200 amp with feeder to 100 amp panel in old house [ 8 Answers ]

I currently in the process of converting 1000 sq ft of attached garage into living space while doing this we are updating electrical service to 200 amp new service, there is 100 amp service in the old part of the house which will remain but need to be sub paneled from the new 200 amp service. I...

Overhead from a 100 amp service panel to a 100 amp subpanel in a garage. [ 6 Answers ]

An Electrician friend said I could use #4 copper for the (2)120 volt legs and a conventional Suspension wire as the nuetral. The overhead span is about 35 feet and the overall run From panel to panel is about 70 feet.The supply outlet said to use #2 copper. Also, what type wire for sunlight...

200 amp panel feeding a 100 amp panel roughly 130' away [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, We are building a apartment above the garage,my question is what size wire do I need to run from the 200 amp panel to the 100 amp panel roughly 130' away? I want to use aluminum wire as I think copper would be to costly. Thanks for your help in advance, Dude :eek:

100 amp sub panel from 200 amp main panel [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 200 amp main panel. We added another floor and decided to add a new sub panel of 100 amps. Is this OK? Should the wire gage be different from 100 maps? Your help is appreciated.

100 amp panel to new 200 amp panel and sub panel [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very small (1000sq feet) 1920 home in Northern New Jersey which 15 years ago was upgraded to breakers with a 100 amp panel. The whole house does have copper romex in it now, and I am adding a substantial addition (3000 sq feet) to the house and I want to put a sub panel in the new portion....

View more questions Search