Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cauin Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2011, 10:50 AM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    You interpret things in odd ways. I'm not saying I'm a success and you're a failure.

Mar 4, 2011, 10:52 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Should I have scanned the diagnostic report for you? Why do you think I have to prove it to you? You obviously think I'm very stupid, but obviously not stupid enough to be doing that.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 10:55 AM

Comment on Wondergirl's post
    should I have scanned the diagnostic report for you? Why do you think I have to prove it to you? You obviously think i'm very stupid, but obviously not stupid enough to be doing that.

Why the high dudgeon? I was merely asking how you know. Were you diagnosed, or did you decide somehow you are? Again, this thread doesn't read like you are.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2011, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cauin View Post
    by your reasoning smoothie, the "reason" why you are not the super rich like Donald Trump is because you didn't do what you needed to do to do that, so you are to blame, it's your fault. The flaw in that reasoning of yours, is indeed, it's true, that if I had done certain things, it'd have worked out, and if you'd done certain things, you'd be the next donald trump. But you have to be aware of what you can and can't do, and take that into consideration. And I did.
    I could have entered politics... but I had no desire to... I could have done a lot of things I have chosen not to do. I'm happy with what I have, because I earned that right. And I've never entertained the thought of suing my parents for anything... for any reason, ever.

Could I have done something differently? Certainly... and that's true for everyone. But I made the choices and I live with them. Because I am the one that made them.

Like I said... stupid liberal arts classes in a college isn't going to help you "reason" with reality. Reality IS what it is. You don't reason with it, and in fact you CAN'T reason with it. You have to deal with it.

SO you made your choices (like everyone else)... and IF you really was dealing with it, then why are you talking about sueing your parents for something you had no right to expect in the first place. Only a loser would sue their parents. YOU got a lot more from your parents than a lot of people did... you should be thanking them instead of blaming them.

Some parents would have packed your bags and pushed you out the door on your 18th birthday, a few wouldn't have waited that long. You should count your blessings you have the parents you do.

You aren't in a position to negotiate anything... that is a right that earned after you have earned the right to be in a position of power. As it is you have nothing to negotiate with... you have to take what is offered you until you do. YOu can't negotiate effectively unless you have something of value to someone else to bargain with... right now you don't. You likely will sometime in the future however.

I suppose you think a 20 something fresh out of school is worth the pay of someone that's already been doing a job for 30+ years. Because its almost like they teach that concept in college for some reason.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 10:57 AM

Comment on Synnen's post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By your reasoning, the "reason" why you are not the super rich like Donald Trump is because you didn't do what you needed to do to do that, so you are to blame, it's your fault. The flaw in that reasoning of yours, is indeed, it's true, that if I had done certain things, it'd have worked out, and if you'd done certain things, you'd be the next donald trump. But you have to be aware of what you can and can't do, and take that into consideration. And I did.
    You are ABSOLUTELY correct! Ding ding ding! I am not rich like Donald Trump because I didn't make the same sacrifices he did to get there. It's NOT that I'm not rich like Donald Trump because I'm not 6'2" and male.

You didn't pass because you didn't make the sacrifices you needed to do in order to do so. The reason you didn't pass is NOT because your living arrangements changed.

See the difference? In MY version---YOU are responsible for your OWN failures. NOT your parents.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 11:06 AM

I asked about your being an Aspie simply because I'm wondering if your parents wanted you to have your own apartment (rather than live with them) and begin to be independent from them.

And how much more uni is left for you? Could you finish, even through online classes or independent study? In this country, the U.S. there are a lot of helps for Aspies, from tutoring to coaching of all kinds. Have you checked into that sort of thing where you live?
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Mar 4, 2011, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Like I said.....stupid liberal arts classes in a college isn't going to help you "reason" with reality. Reality IS what it is. You don't reason with it, and in fact you CAN'T reason with it. You have to deal with it.
    I feel that any education a person receives CAN help them immensely in many ways. I learned an extremely valuable interpersonal lesson in a Victorian Literature class that had nothing to do with the class.

The key is that a person has to WORK for what they learn. I don't mean merely paying the fees to go to the class, but actually squeeze that experience for all it is worth both in the books and the people with whom you are learning.

Some people just don't understand that getting what they envision requires sacrifice and *gasp* hard work!
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2011, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by southamerica View Post
    I feel that any education a person receives CAN help them immensely in many ways. I learned an extremely valuable interpersonal lesson in a Victorian Literature class that had nothing to do with the class.

The key is that a person has to WORK for what they learn. I don't mean merely paying the fees to go to the class, but actually squeeze that experience for all it is worth both in the books and the people with whom you are learning.

Some people just don't understand that getting what they envision requires sacrifice and *gasp* hard work!
    I agree an education is a good thing... but there ARE worthless waste of money classes... many of them in fact. Anyone that has seen a list of available courses at a University, particularly the bigger ones can pick a lengthy list. A class that discusses the hidden meaning behind Brittney Spears songs is one example.

And you can't get more out of it than you put into it. Its one thing to pass a course... and its another to walk out of it with a mastery in what it taught.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 11:40 AM

Wait just a minute, Smoothy.

It's getting off topic, so let's discuss it elsewhere after this, but MANY classes that seem worthless to you actually do have a purpose in a LIBERAL ARTS education.

The problem is that there's a huge difference between a liberal arts education (which teaches you how to think and reason) and a career education (with many specific majors like law, medicine, engineering, and business) that tell you WHAT to think. Liberal arts are more (ahem) liberal with their electives. Career majors are slowly ELIMINATING electives, and that's actually a huge problem in education.

But again---a discussion for a different board.

Mar 4, 2011, 11:41 AM
    I agree an education is a good thing....but there ARE worthless waste of money classes.....many of them in fact. Anyone that has seen a list of availible courses at a University, particularly the bigger ones can pick a lengthy list. A class that discusses the hidden meaning behind Brittney Spears songs is one example.

And you can't get more out of it than you put into it. Its one thing to pass a course....and its another to walk out of it with a mastery in what it taught.
    The first two years at a Liberal Arts college are completely worthless. NO amount of teaching me "how" to give a speech is going to stop me from wetting myself every time I have to give a presentation at work.

Mar 4, 2011, 11:42 AM

Sorry, Synnen, we posted at the same time. This is a different discussion for a different board and we should focus on the question on hand.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2011, 11:50 AM
    The first two years at a Liberal Arts college are completely worthless. NO amount of teaching me "how" to give a speech is going to stop me from wetting myself every time I have to give a presentation at work.
    Or getting up there and muttering like an idiot because you are scared and can't think straight.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2011, 11:51 AM
    Sorry, Synnen, we posted at the same time. This is a different discussion for a different board and we should focus on the question on hand.
    Well the OP has in fact been all over the place themselves... beyond the scope of the original post.

And in 8 pages they still don't see the error of their original comments.

Mar 4, 2011, 11:56 AM
    Well the OP has in fact been all over the place themselves....beyond the scope of the original post.

And in 8 pages they still don't see the error of their original comments.
    I'm thinking he was conditioned to live in a fantasy world with no responsibility and now it's his time to step up and learn how to live in reality or be lost forever. Personally, I'm rooting for him to learn from this experience.

My friend whom I was talking about earlier is pretty much a goner because she couldn't understand what personal accountability was. Sad.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2011, 11:59 AM
    I'm thinking he was conditioned to live in a fantasy world with no responsibility and now it's his time to step up and learn how to live in reality or be lost forever. Personally, I'm rooting for him to learn from this experience.

My friend whom I was talking about earlier is pretty much a goner because she couldn't understand what personal accountability was. Sad.
    I think that's a fair assessment. I've known people that grew up too coddled, without learnig responsibility and duty... and grew into adulthood without understanding those concepts actually thinking they were owed these things.

Some parents DO in fact, do too much for their kids sometimes which denies them the chance to learn important life lessons. And unprepared to deal with life.

Mar 4, 2011, 12:07 PM
    I think thats a fair assessment. I've known people that grew up too coddled, without learnig responsibility and duty....and grew into adulthood without understanding those concepts actually thinking they were owed these things.

Some parents DO in fact, do too much for their kids sometimes which denies them the chance to learn important life lessons. And unprepared to deal with life.
    Yup-as hard as it may be for parents-I think it's valuable to let your kids crash and burn and learn.

Suing the parents because they coddled too much? Oh dear.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    ... It's getting off topic, so let's discuss it elsewhere after this, but MANY classes that seem worthless to you actually do have a purpose in a LIBERAL ARTS education.
    Certainly. At least two purposes:
    • to keep the professor employed; and
    • to keep the students occupied while they are waiting for their degees.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2011, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Certainly. At least two purposes:
    • to keep the professor employed; and
    • to keep the students occupied while they are waiting for their degees.
    You missed one...

▪ to line the pockets of the university and help pay for the multi-million dollar Salaries of the College presidents
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 12:32 PM

I just came into this thread, and read all the pages. Whew, what a chore. My head hurts from banging it repeatedly on the desk.

Cauin, read all the posts made on this thread. Count how many people posted on your thread. Did one of those people tell you you're right? Did anyone say that you're entitled to sue? Did anyone tell you what you want to hear?

I'll save you some time. Not one person agrees that you have a case. Not one person thinks that it's your parents fault that you didn't graduate. Every person that posted has confirmed that it's your fault. I agree with them.

So, do you really think all the people that posted on this thread are just against you, out to get you? Or, could it be that they're telling you the truth?

I know it's not easy hearing what you don't want to hear, being told that you're in the wrong. The fact is, you are the one to blame in all of this.

Instead of concentrating on all the imagined wrongs done to you, concentrate on getting your degree. Concentrate on learning to cope with your disability, because at this point in time, even with a degree, your attitude and your obvious lack of maturity will prevent you from getting a job. If you don't change, a degree really won't help you.

Before you come back with a scathing post, telling me I'm wrong, whining about all the things your parents didn't do for you, take a minute to remember that they did more for you then they were required to. Take a moment to realize that no one reading your thread agrees with you. That should be a huge wake up call.

Mar 4, 2011, 01:09 PM
    It's amusing to read people saying they could have been donald trump if they'd made the sacrifices.. yeah right. People have limitations. You can't just do anything because you have 2 arms and 2 legs and something on your neck like Donald Trump. You should get real.

"liberal arts".. no. I probably did a better degree , in a better institution, than most of you.. well, 2 years of one anyway. Welcome to the real world. People can be more academic than you, and fail. And guess what. If you think they're stupid and every guess is that they did some rubbish degree, they are a BSer , well, when you're wrong on everything maybe you should look in the mirror. You're just somebody with common sense , a basic ability to make something of yourself, but no depth of thought, no intellect.
    Unfortunately, I lack common sense for basic tasks.. but I can reason, which is more than many here.. that jump to the most silly conclusions.

I am not posting insisting that I do have a case to sue(as somebody seemed to think! ), I wanted to know if I did, and it became clear after the first few posts that apparently I do not, nothing to do with ideals. I'm not going to insist on it if the law doesn't cover it, what's the point? So a small minded person thinks that's what this discussion is about all the pages. Other topics have been discussed.

The truth is that a lot of you are deeply jealous that I was fortunate enough that my parents paid for me to do 2 years of my degree. When your parents paid for none. So as far as you are concerned, I had it better. And the fact that I am saying I was wronged, makes you bitter and jealous. And scoff at how I failed with all that "help". If you could think more deeply, you'd see things more clearly.

If my parents had done nothing for me, and SAID SO. Then I would have worked first, then done the degree. It'd have taken more time but my life and CV wouldn't be in pieces. In my area people rely on their parents and yes it can mean you get their quicker, and if they hadn't pulled the rug I'd have had a shot at the final year and might've done it as I'd done the previous two. And then if they'd pull the rug then when I'm not relying on them, then fine.

Or if they'd pulled the rug BEFORE I got onto it. Like before the degree.

This is all beyond the minds of the bitter people here that just see somebody from a more privileged background than them. And if I can say I was wronged, then how much more so you. In your small-mindedness, you think that. As I said. If they'd pulled the rug before I got onto it, that'd be better than pulling it when I was on it. It's not about -comfort-..

I lived on about 10 bucks a week, eating very poor, because I was paying all the money they gave me into paying off a debt. They pretty much said once that money is no problem for them, and they could afford a lot, but asking them for money was a big problem for them, so I did live very poor. You probably ate better than I did if you were ever students. It really doesn't work how you think it does. A lot depends on the relationship and understanding that you have with your parents. And problems in that are down to the parents too. And to what extent varies.

It is possible to -try- to better oneself without saying "IT IS ALL MY FAULT" when it isn't. If you could see a bit deeper, you'd see that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I sue my parents for neglect , depression & bad parenting? [ 3 Answers ]

Someone please help me with my question!

What will it cost to tile a kitchen floor that is 12 feet wide by 20 feet long if the [ 5 Answers ]

What will it cost to tile a kitchen floor that is 12 feet wide by 20 feet long if the tile cost $8.91 per square yard?

Girlfriend has depression and crazy parents [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Everyone I joined this website just so I could ask this question. Let me tell you some backstory about the situation. Im 21 years old and my girlfriend is 19. We were friends for a while until we both started to realize we liked each other more and we started dating in August. Things were going...

Can I put a jute backed rug on a laminate without a rug pad or will it ruin thefloor [ 14 Answers ]

I have a Pergo laminate floor and I want to buy a jute backed rug to put on part of the floor. Do I need a rug pad (and what kind) or can I just lay the rug without ruining the laminate flooring.

View more questions Search