Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    baddebt2011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 04:45 PM
    Bank account frozen
    Hi,
    I just got notified today that an old credit card debt, from prior to my divorce, has placed a writ against my checking account. In talking to the lawyer, he said they can hold it 20 days, until the bank completes some form and answers questions they sent..
    My issue is there is really no money in there, but I am expecting direct deposit of my paycheck, child support and my refund.
    Can they continue to hold my account until the debt is paid in full or will they eventually release it?
    I did not receive anything in the mail about this, giving me notice at all.
    They did take me to court, sent the papers and judgement to my ex husband, who did not forward to me.. Until it was too late to do anything.
    Once they release it, if they do, can I just shut down that account? I tried, in the recent past, to make arrangements for payments, but they did not allow me.
    I live in Chester County Pa.
    Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2011, 07:25 PM

To freeze your bank account they have had to file a court action against you and get a judgement, With a judgement they went and got a garnishment for your bank account.

It is held, pending your opportunity to file an appeal, and at that point any money in there will be given to them.
    Normally, but will depend on the terms of the garnishment, it remains in effect and any money going in will just be frozen. So any direct deposit will be gone to them basically till they are paid in full.

Please stop talking to "their" attorney, they are paid to take your money, not to help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank has frozen my bank account and they say me that it's a lottery fraud suspense acc [ 2 Answers ]

Bank has frozen my bank account and they say me that it's a lottery fraud suspense account,but the story is that I had an advertisement agency which is unregistered and the people who work for me pays me the registration fees as 2000/3500/5000/7000 respectively and we pay them cash for their work...

Frozen bank account [ 2 Answers ]

How long can they freeze your account and how long before they can freeze it again in New York

Bank account frozen [ 12 Answers ]

Okay I want to try and give as much information as possible without overkill but I need as much help as possible First off I live in the state of Georgia. In 2002 I sold my company along with 2 other partners. Over a year after the sell the buyers tried sue us for the money from the sale...

Frozen bank account [ 2 Answers ]

Can a bank place a hold on or freeze an account without some type of judgement or court order in Maryland?

Bank account frozen [ 1 Answers ]

I've read several questions on the topic of judgements from creditors freezing or levying bank accounts. Unfortunately, we received some very bad advice from a debt settlement company and allowed a judgement to be put on us. The debt is mine from being unemployed for an extended time but I was...

View more questions Search