Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kasrt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 11:53 AM
    Tax rules for L1 with allowances provided by Indian company. Stay approx 160 days
    Hi, I'm currently working in Mountain View, California on home based delegation. Type of visa is L1, my assignment tenure is about 160 days. Also currently I have brought my spouse on L2, the cost for her is entirely borne by me.
    In this regard, please let me know if I need to pay tax in US, I receive my Indian salary which is taxed as per the Income tax norms in India currently. For allowances which I receive in US, if I manage to save and take it back to India, how is it treated or taxed?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 1, 2011, 05:12 AM

Income that residents of India receive for personal services performed in the United States as employees (dependent personal services) is exempt from U.S. income tax if the residents meet three requirements.
    *They are present in the United States for no more than 183 days during the tax year.
    *The income is paid by, or on behalf of, an employer who is not a resident of the United States.
    *The income is not borne by a permanent establishment, fixed base, or trade or business the employer has in the United States.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Refund for stay approx 180 days [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have lived in US from 2006 Nov to 2009 May on H1-B and later returned to India. I have filed the 2006,2007 and 2008 tax returns usng 1040 form and standard deduction. Now I am not sure how to file 2009 tax returns as I have lived there for < 180 days. My employer has already withheld...

Tax Refund for stay less than 180 days [ 2 Answers ]

I have stayed in US less than 5 months. How can I get tax refund. I can here by august15 I am going back to my country by jan18 2010. Whether I need to file 1040nr or w2? Thanks in advance for considering me.

Best Immigration options for marriage of US citizen and Indian in approx. Two years ? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a US citizen and my fiancé is Indian. He needs to finish school- 2 more years to get his degree and then the plan is for him to come here and work and we would like to get married as soon as we can plan a simple wedding. But we are realizing that immigration laws are not so simple and we need...

Tax for Indian company to provide service in US [ 4 Answers ]

We are providing service to US company for first time and want to know what are the taxes involved? Do I have to fill in any form or does the client fills in a form? My client gave me W8BEN but my colleague told use W8ECI. I don't know the difference. Any help would be appreciated Sach

Tax Refund for stay approx 180 days [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a single and in WA, USA working for my Client. I basically work in India. I came to US during the end of June 2007. I am on L1 visa and have my SSN. My employer has already withheld the federal income tax, social security tax, Medicare tax in my monthly salary. I have been told by...

View more questions Search