Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bcroker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Boiler Hot Water Insufficient
    I have a 6 zone hot water / forced air hybrid heating system. Most of the actual baseboard system is 1958/1980, but works fine. In 2000 I put in a new boiler, AC, and a forced air furnace that gets its heat from hot water flowing through it from the boiler (in addition to the zones). I also have a 36 gallon, supposedly unlimted domestic hot water system that also uses heat transfer from the boiler to the water. Supposedly it takes 8 minutes to heat a whole tank. Wrong. I had to put in a backup 40 gallon electric tank inline which supposedly just stores more hot water. The limitless tank is cranked up to the maximum, supposedly dangerous, heat level.

Still, if my son has a shower and my wife a bath, we have to wait almost 2 hours before there is hot water again, and no, it is not a 30 mintue shower. Essentially one full tub exhausts the supply. I am thinking of putting a large gas fired hot water tank in line.

I have had other hot water heating systems before and never had a shortage of hot water!

Any ideas of other solutions?
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Jan 19, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bcroker
    I have a 6 zone hot water / forced air hybrid heating system. Most of the actual baseboard system is 1958/1980, but works fine. In 2000 I put in a new boiler, AC, and a forced air furnace that gets its heat from hot water flowing through it from the boiler (in addition to the zones). I also have a 36 gallon, supposedly unlimted domestic hot water system that also uses heat transfer from the boiler to the water. Supposedly it takes 8 minutes to heat a whole tank. Wrong. I had to put in a backup 40 gallon electric tank inline which supposedly just stores more hot water. The limitless tank is cranked up to the maximum, supposedly dangerous, heat level.

Still, if my son has a shower and my wife a bath, we have to wait almost 2 hours before there is hot water again, and no, it is not a 30 mintue shower. Essentially one full tub exhausts the supply. I am thinking of putting a large gas fired hot water tank in line.

I have had other hot water heating systems before and never had a shortage of hot water!

Any ideas of other solutions?
    You should have a heat lost calculation , for the house + 40 gal hwh, when you put in the new boiler. Whenever you Don't have enough hot waters, was the main boiler running? It would not take no more than 30 min to heat up the 40 gal water tank, do you have the same problem in the summer.. how big is your current main boiler?. 125000+?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

Hot water run in bathroom cuts out hot water in kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, Currently in our bungalow, if we run hot water in the bath & also run hot water in the kitchen tap, after a few seconds water from the kitchen taps stops. If we turn off the bath tap, water still refuses to flow from the kitchen tap. My wife knows a little about the history of the...

Boiler radiators always HOT [ 4 Answers ]

Should my boiler (hot water system) cycle on (burners fire and refire) when my THERMOSTAT is set in the OFF position? These are my symptoms:1,THE RADIATORS STAY HOT WHEN THERMOSTAT IS IN OFF POSITION! 2, LOUD BANGING NOISES IN PIPES. The only way I stop these symptoms is to shut off the entire...

Bleeding hot water boiler four zones [ 1 Answers ]

HELP,My hot water boiler has four zones, one is hot the others need bleeding. How do I go about this?

View more questions Search