Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prak11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 08:50 PM
    H1B visa dependent question
    Hello,

Could you please clarify this question for me?

(a) I'm an Indian Citizen and worked in the US during 2010 on H1B visa. My wife was with me in the US the entire 2009 on a dependent visa H4. During 2009 my wife applied and got the ITIN number. My wife went to India in January 2010 and did not come back to the US the entire 2010 because of some health issue. I left US for good during September 2010.Now my question is
    (a) Can I claim my wife as dependent for 2010?
    (b) If I can claim my wife as a dependent, there is a question that asks which state you resided on dec 2010?
    (c) I left US for good on September 2010. There is a question that asks which state you resided on dec 2010?What do I need to say here?

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 03:42 AM

For 2010 you are dual status. On the resident part of the return, claim exemption for your spouse if she did not earn any amount in 2010. You do not get standard deduction.
    Tax Software will not do dual status return. For state you are part year resident.

Feb 26, 2011, 10:48 AM
    Comment on MukatA's post
    What is dual status return? Why will I not get Standard deduction?

Feb 26, 2011, 10:49 AM
    MukatA,
    Thanks for the reply.What is dual status tax return?Why will I not get standard deduction?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2011, 08:58 PM

Read IRS publication 519. Tax Guide for Aliens; Dual Status Tax Year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B Visa holder claiming a dependent who is on H4 Visa for 105 Days? [ 2 Answers ]

I cam to US (H1B visa) for first time in February 2010 and my wife and kid joined me in US (H4 visa) during September 2010. 1) Can I file as "married filing jointly" and apply for ITIN for my wife and kid when I File Tax for 2010? 2) Can I include my child as dependent when we file taxes for...

Can a Resident Alien (H1B) claim a dependent on F1 visa? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm on H1B visa and meet the SPT, my sister is on F1 for the whole year 2010. Can a resident Alien who is on H1B claim a dependent as a qualifying relative (sister) who is on F1 status (non-resident alien)? Article 501, says they have to be US Citizen, resident or a National. If that is the...

Company filed H1B visa for me and planning to fly,what about dependent VISA process [ 1 Answers ]

Company filed H1B visa for me. After that I got married and now planning to send to U.S.. What about the process of dependent visa can any one explain this is 1st time I am to U.S. 1) What are the precautions I need to take? 2) For dependent how much percentage they will deduct as tax?

H1B visa holder claiming a Dependent who is on H4 visa? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1 Visa and my spouse is on H4 (dependent) Visa, my question is can I clain her as a dependent while filing the Tax return. She already got ITIN number. I am trying file taxes online but none of the website is giving 'Spouse/Wife' as dependent option. Please expain me the total...

H1B visa holder claiming a Dependent who is on H4 visa? [ 2 Answers ]

I am on H1B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. Can I claim her as a Dependent while filing for the tax return. Do I have to apply for ITIN? Please explain the procedure. Thanks

View more questions Search