Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BenAssa Posts: 21, Reputation: -1

Feb 23, 2011, 12:53 PM
    How much liability car insurance do I need?
    I own a van worth 20k, a house worth almost half a million, and have about 400k in mortgage, and no real savings.
    I make a bit over 5k a month before tax from work, and maybe another 3k from renting rooms in my house
    What happens if I run someone and do 500k$ worth of damage but only have 100k$ insurance ?
    What if I do a million dollars damage, have 600k$ insurance, 500k$ in assets, but also 400k mortgage I cannot pay without those assets(need the house for rent, and the van for work
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2011, 01:05 PM

You need what's called an Umbrella policy... it covers you in the exact cases you mentioned. And they can be fairly cheap. Worth a call to your insurance agent,
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2011, 02:31 PM

I think smoothy is correct.
    But as far as I know the courts would determine the damages without regard to the value of your assets. I surmise that you would have to negotiate a payment plan acceptable to the court and the injured party(s). I am not an attorney but I know that it is a situation you don't want to get into.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 08:42 AM

I agree about the umbrella policy, especially because of your rental business. Make sure that your home owner's policy is consistent with the fact that you are renting out rooms, and has sufficient coverage in case you are sued over death or injury that a tenant might sustain while renting from you. In general your liability insurance coverage on your home owner's and auto policies plus umbrella policy ought to be at least as much as your net worth.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 08:47 AM

Hello ben:

Smear is right. The courts don't care how much insurance you have.. If the judgment is more than your assets, you'll wind up with NO assets and huge bill.

Smear is wrong about a payment plan, though.. They'll take it ALL right now. Sure, you can make payments after there's nothing for them to take. Who wouldn't accept that?

excon

Feb 25, 2011, 12:44 PM
    ebaines, why deos it need to be as high as my assets?
    Excon, do I care if I have more insurance?
    If the judgment is higher than my assets +insurance than I don't have anything left no matter the insurance sum right?
    So even if my net assets are under 200k(assets- debts) I need a multi million liability insurance to be sure I don't find myself with nothing right?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAssa View Post
    ebaines, why deos it need to be as high as my assets?
    I suggested that your liability coverage should be about the same as your net worth. That's NOT the same thing as your assets, but rather assets minus liabilities. You currently seem to have about $120K in net worth ($100K in the home plus $20K in a van), so getting about $150K in liability insurance with both your auto and homeowner's policy is probably OK. If in the future your net worth climbs above $300K then an umbrella policy would be recommended.

Feb 25, 2011, 01:41 PM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    I still don't understand the connection between net-worth and liability
    I can easily have a 200k liability insurance, run over someone have a judgment of 500k, and loose everything I own right?
    Or am I missing something
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 01:54 PM

Hello B:

If you figure you'll never make a nickel after you've been bankrupted, then you only need to cover what you're worth.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2011, 02:30 PM

Well they can garnish 25 percent or more of your pay till you grow old and die. Your choice,

And if you don't care about losing your home, your cars and all you worked for, I don't care either to be frank, I would be happy moving into your home if you hit me and can't pay for my damages.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2011, 04:08 PM

Ex-thanks for the vote of confidence.
    If you owed a judgment for a million bucks from a guy that earned 250k per year but only had a worth of 50k at the time--you would take his 50k and his ability to earn his 250k per year away, put him on the street and be happy?
    You wouldn't entertain a proposal for him to pay you 100k or 150k per year for the next x years?
    There are in fact, payment plans worked out related to judgments based on my research.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    Ex-thanks for the vote of confidence.
    If you owed a judgment for a million bucks from a guy that earned 250k per year but only had a worth of 50k at the time--you would take his 50k and his ability to earn his 250k per year away, put him on the street and be happy?
    You wouldn't entertain a proposal for him to pay you 100k or 150k per year for the next x years??
    There are in fact, payment plans worked out related to judgments based on my research.
    As a court ordered Garnishment... maybe. As a gentlemen's agreement... never. Most people aren't gentlement for long in that situation.

Most people don't take long to find reasons to not pay what they owe if they are allowed a way out of it. People find ways to duck court ordered garnishments every day too.

And I actually know someone who has been getting judgements periodically renewed against an uninsured drunk that caused an accident over 40 years ago and has gone out of their way to avoid paying what they owe the entire time. For a sum that is far, far less than even $100K
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2011, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    you would take his 50k and his ability to earn his 250k per year away, put him on the street and be happy?
    Hello again, smear:

Nahhh. Not me. But most plaintiff's aren't as wonderful as I am.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does liability insurance cover the driver or the car? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife was recently involved in a car accident in a parking garage. We have full insurance, but she was driving her mother's car and the insurance on the car had lapsed without her mother realizing it. There is a question as to who was at fault in the accident. The other driver, who said she...

Liability Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

Is it possible to buy only liability insurance rather than the total homeowner's policy? I live near the water and the cost of insurance is prohibitive and the deductibles are ridiculously high. I do not however want to be without liability insurance.

Liability insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I have been making herbal soaps and selling to my immediate friends and family, but now strangers want to buy and I need to find out what kind of insurance I should carry and where to get it.

Insurance Liability [ 12 Answers ]

Car A is exiting a parking lot. Car A pauses just short of the aisle leading to the curbcut to wait for a delivery van to get clear. Car B comes down the next aisle turns into the aisle behind Car A. Car B then passes Car A on the left and makes a right in front of Car A hitting Car A on the point...

View more questions Search