Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ggriswold Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2011, 11:01 AM
    concrete driveway rebar
    I have a driveway that is cracked and is going to be replaced with new concrete. Since there are large trucks making turns on my driveway, I have asked the contractor to install 3/4' rebars. He will install it 3' x 3'. Will this be enough or should it be closer.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2011, 05:34 AM

This is one evaluation:
    Rebar Installation & Sizes
    I think that 3' spacing is too much.
    Thickness of concrete and location of resteel (below midpoint of thickness) and clearance from bottom are also important.
    lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Mar 6, 2011, 03:20 PM
    3/4 rebar is ovrkill, 3' spacing is too large to make a difference and prevent cracking, if you have large trucks turning on your driveway you need a thicker compacted base under your concrete and thicker concrete, a standard 3" slab with a 4" base will not support heavy trucks no matter how much or what size rebar you have in the concrete. I would recommend a 6" slab on a 8" compacted base

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you reliably pour a new concrete driveway over an old concrete driveway? [ 2 Answers ]

The city came through a neighborhood that I have a rental on and elevated the road about 10 inches and installed new city sidewalks also 10 inches higher and poured a cheap asphalt ramp to the older cracked but functional driveway. In my mind I want to rip out the asphalt ramp, place some forms,...

Concrete driveway falling apart. Is there something that can be poured over concrete [ 2 Answers ]

My drive way is about 25 years old, Its breaking up into rocks that were used in the mix. I have large pot holes. I don't have the money to break up and replace at this time. Is there any thing on the market that I can put on top of it.

Should Rebar Be Placed in a New Driveway or Patio [ 7 Answers ]

Talking with a builder this weekend they mentioned rebar is not a standard feature in the concrete for the drive way or the covered patio in the back. It's about $1.00 per sq ft to have it installed. What are the advantages to adding rebar into the concrete for the driveway? Do I need it?

Rebar vs fiber mesh for driveway [ 3 Answers ]

I am planing to redo about 1200 sq feet driveway. One contractor uses #3 rebar for every 2 feet center. Another contracdtor uses #3 rebar for every 4 feet center with commercial fiber mesh. Which is better way to go? Thanks,

Mesh or Rebar in Concrete - Which is better [ 3 Answers ]

At somepoint I am going to have to replace my concrete patio (long story!). Concrete contractors have proposed 6/6/10/10 welded wire reinforcement and 1/2 inch rebar. Each suggests one is better than the other. It will be 3000 psi cretet and 4 " thick. What do people here suggest between the...

View more questions Search