Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaybird92 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Relinquishing rights/custody
    I am the single mother of a 14 year old boy who wants to relinquish my custody to my parents. I AM NOT looking to relinquish my legal responsibilities (I've perused previous messages). My son's father has never been involved in his life and never wanted him so it's been the two of us from day one with my parents heavily involved. Recently (last 6 months), I have been having more difficulty with disrespect and attitude. Every time I try to discipline him, he leaves my house and goes to my parents who take him in (they live 2 blocks away). He is starting to get physical with me and I finally told him that if he can't treat me with respect, then I don't want him around because I don't trust him. He has chosen and my parents have agreed to allow him to live with them. I relinquish my rights to him so that they can start acting on his behalf with school and insurance and such. The relationship between my parents and myself is good. Do they need to adopt him to be able to add him to their insurance and act on his legal behalf or will giving them custody be sufficient? He is in the process of working with a psychiatrist to receive medication so they will need to be able to make decisions for him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 18, 2007, 08:46 PM
    You can not just relinquish your rights to your parents, even though his father is not "in" the picture, he still has all of his rights as a parent, even if he has not used them for years.

So if you give up YOUR rights, he becomes the guardian parent, unless your parents go to court to gain custody, then not only you, but he also has to sign his rights away.

You can allow him to live there, you can give them POA to act on your behalf with him.

But your parents are not doing you any favor, they are allow this behavior from him to happen, and could be part of the cause of that problem, since they don't drag him home when he runs off.

And no they can't add him on their insurance unless they adopt,
    jaybird92 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2007, 10:58 AM
    His father is not only "not in" the picture, but is hiding from accepting his responsibility. I left his father when I was 2.5 months pregnant because it was an abusive relationship. His father did not want him then and did not want to acknowledge him as his when the state of Missouri contacted him about child support (it took them over a year to find him even with his ss# and after they did, he went into hiding again). He is not on the birth certificate either. I don't see how he could be the guardian parent when he is not on the birth certificate and has been hiding from taking any responsibility.

I fully acknowledge that the proximity to my parents is a large part of the problem, but my hope is that now that he is living with them and knowing that if he messes up with them he has no where else to go, he will straighten up. Please don't mistake my actions as not caring because I love my son and this is really tearing me up. I just don't feel that I am left with many other choices. I work 7 days a week, but have my two jobs scheduled so that I am home every night by 4:30. My parents are both retired so they don't have the same time constraints that I have and I'm hoping that this as well will help. I have been looking for help, but at his age, it does not seem like there is any agency or any person out there who is willing to help until he gets into serious trouble and I'm am trying to avoid that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinquishing Parental Rights [ 9 Answers ]

I am pregnant and the father of the child wants nothing to do with it. He is willing to relinquish his parental rights because he doesn't want to pay child support. He keeps telling me that his lawyer is preparing the proper documentation but I don't believe him. Can he relinquish his rights...

Relinquishing rights [ 17 Answers ]

What is the legalities to relinquishing rights of a child whom you feel you can not fulfill an obligation to because of not knowing the child and not being able to comply with conservator rights. And also when rights are relinquished is child support still paid?

Relinquishing all rights ? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok the legal guardian of the baby Ive been caring for over the past 7 months signed the baby over to me by relinquishing all rights through a public notary .Ok now the original mother got out of jail Monday and brought me the court order which was for the girl that signed him over to me ordering...

Relinquishing parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how lengthy the process for relinquishing your parental rights and if you still have to pay child support after wards... we live in Mississippi

Relinquishing rights [ 5 Answers ]

How can someone relinquish their rights without an attorney? I have filed for a modification to my child support and we have a court date for that but he has decided he wants to relinquish rights. I have my husband now who wants to adopt her if my ex-husband relinquished rights. How can we do that?

View more questions Search