Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    silentangel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2011, 07:58 AM
    A future for felons?
    I have a couple questions. I picked up a felony for facilitation to a meth lab in Dec 2009 and was placed on felony diversion and 5 years of probation. I lost my job of 9 years and my kids (among many other things) and have been having a hard time finding work outside of waitressing ever since. I am happy to say I have been clean 21 months and can pass any drug test that an employer can throw my way, just not the background check. First question: Since I'm on diversion do I put yes or no I have been convicted of a felony? I have done both and tried to explain but it doesn't seem to matter either way. This will follow me forever since as a condition of the sentence, I had to waive right to expungement. Which brings me to my next question. Can I go back to school? Surely with a degree, it would at least open more doors to more types of jobs. I know nursing and medical school is out of the question, but does anyone know what I can go to school for? Any help is appreciated. I'm already 30 so starting kind of late. Thanks.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2011, 08:24 AM

Hello s:

I think you're taking the wrong approach.. It's the approach EVERYBODY takes, and of course, you're getting the results that approach brings...

Once you write down stuff that has to be explained, the interview, if you get one, relvolves around YOUR needs, and not the employers needs. THAT conversation, in my view, is one that should be had with SOCIAL AGENCIES and NOT prospective employers...

So, I believe you need to change TWO things in your approach. First off, I'm not a believer in expungement... It causes MORE trouble than it's worth, because if the conviction is expunged, people think it can't be found so they lie about their convictions.. But, of course, it CAN be found and most times, it IS.

So, if you can't apply for expungement, apply for a pardon. That's much better anyway. It FORGIVES and removes your crime - not simply HIDES it like expungement does. If pardoned, you can legally say you were NEVER convicted of a crime.

Next.. Apply at places where you can interview with the hiring person on your FIRST visit. Keep the conversation about what you can do for HIM, rather than what he can do for YOU. If you do THAT job properly, and he's convinced he NEEDS you, then when you tell him about your background, it's not going to matter as much.

The third option (yeah, I know I said two), is going into business for yourself. It seems that when you present yourself as a COMPANY seeking a contract, rather than an employee seeking a job, people don't necessarily want to run a background check.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relying on God and Thinking About the Future. Should We Worry About the Future? [ 35 Answers ]

Hi, All! Okay. So the present moment is all that we have. In an instant it's gone. And, then another moment arrives. To me, we really don't have any control. Sure, we have the freedom to choose, but God is the one in charge. Is there any point to worrying about the next day if we truly...

Financial aid for felons? Is there any monies available for felons who are just being [ 2 Answers ]

Released. For things such as Tools, Housing, Clothing, Schooling etc. And where do we apply ?

Felons marring felons incarcerated [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are coming up on final sentencing and he is in the county and I'm out we don't know if he will get probated and we would like to get married if he does get locked can we still get married even though I will be a felon to or will we have to wait till he gets out?

Future for felons [ 12 Answers ]

I am in my early 20's and have concerns that my felony for drug possession when I was 18 will come back to haunt me in my pursuit of an engineering career. I was wondering if anyone knew how difficult it is for an engineer to be hired with a felony conviction. Should I choose my college major...

View more questions Search