Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    delaquinta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Bathroom Vanity: Four Lights and Wires to replace Two Light Fixture
    We took out a two light vanity fixture that had two sets of black and white wires. The new fixture has four lights and four sets of black and white wires. Is there anything special we have to do to install it? Can we splice the wires somehow or do we have to add more wiring to the original connection?

I'm a new homeowner and have not done electrical work before so a basic explanation would be appreciated, thanks!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2007, 01:20 PM
    All the black wires from the fixture needs to connect to the black wire in the wall , and so do all the white wires.

If the wires are too short then you will need a short section of #14 black and white, allong with red or yellow wirenuts to splice them.
    Wirthd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2012, 07:18 PM
    I did connect all the white wires (new fixture, power from the circuit, and the light switch), as well as connecting all the black together. Problem is that blew he breaker.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 24, 2012, 08:14 PM
    With a meter do a voltage check between the black and white of each cable to determine which cable is the power cable and which is the cable to the switch.
    Then connect the black of the power cable to the white of the switch cable. Connect the black of the light to the black of the switch. Connect the white of the light to the white of the power cable.

If you do not have a meter put wire nuts on the black and white of one cable. Connect the light to the other cable. Turn power back on. It light operates you have connected to the power cable. If it does not you have connected to the switch cable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Vanity Light Height.. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello again, everyone! Would anyone please tell me what a good "standard" height is for a vanity light, whether it be a single sconce or a 3-light wall-mount fixture? Any suggestions extremely appreciated! Is there any "rule of thumb?" :confused:

Replacing a bathroom vanity light [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a bathroom vanity light and would like the replacement to also have an electrical outlet since there is none in this 1960ish bathroom. Do they make these anymore? If not, in what other way could I get both a light and an electrical outlet in the bathroom? Thanks

Replace Florescant Pull Chain fixture [ 3 Answers ]

I wish to replace a florescant fixture that has a pull chain with a more modern track light fixture. Unless I have to I don't really wish to put an on off switch into the wall. Do I have any options? Thank you.

Receptacle in bathroom vanity fixture [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I was helping out in my sister's house last night (just being a helpful lil' handyman brother :D), and while fixing something in one of the bathrooms, I noticed something very interesting: there is a vanity light above the mirrior that has a single receptactle built into the base of the...

Replace light fixture [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a light fixture and am confused at all the wiring here. I have two red wires connected to ea other and two black wires connected to ea other. Besides that I have two white wires that were used to connect my old fixture which had two clear plastic covered copper wires. My new light...

View more questions Search