Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marmerch Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 11:32 PM
    SSI and bank account
    I have had an excellent credit rating all my life but at age 48, I am now on SSI disability and am worried I may not be able to keep paying on my $10,000 credit card debt. Knowing from reading other questions here, creditors cannot touch SSI but can go after a bank account after SSI sends a payment. My question is, since I am single, would adding a friends name to my bank account keep creditors out? Also, is there free legal help available if creditors take me to court if I can no longer pay?
    KMSRyana Posts: 142, Reputation: 26

Jan 17, 2007, 12:05 AM
    No, simply adding another person to your account will not keep creditors from levying your account. The only assurity you have is that your account information is private unless you send them a check with your account number and routing number to your account. Credit Card companies have limited ability to garnish your wages or take money from your bank accounts without your consent. Usually they will "charge off" the debt and pursue repayment through other means... first selling your account to a collection agency or several, then one of the collection companies may take you to court to seek repayment. Usually they will offer a "settlement" or partial payment versus the full balance to consider the debt repaid. I would first consider talking with your creditor(s) to see if there is an acceptable method of repayment before you take it to other means. Usually, they are willing to work with you and will generally set up a payment plan that works for both you and them to avoid litigation or non payment. If not, you have several options, none of which will be as beneficial as working out something with your creditors upfront.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account Attachment [ 4 Answers ]

I recently had a judgment against me and got served a notice of Judgement. I have a bank account that is in myself and my boyfriends name. My question is: can they legally take money out of this account or freeze and take my boyfriends money that he deposits on there if we are not married? And if...

Garnishment on our bank account [ 4 Answers ]

Two days ago I found out that a collection agency has gotten a court order fro a judgment against our checking account. Apparently this was for a debt my husband had. We are both on the checking account. My Apparently never received a letter, notice or anything else to notify us that there was a...

Garnishment of Bank Account [ 13 Answers ]

Can a collection agency in New York State garnish or place a hold/freeze on a Limited Liability Corporation account if the name of the person they are after appears on the account as well? In other words, if 'John Doe' has defaulted on a huge loan and 'John Doe' owns 'Doogy Shampoo LLC', can...

Bank Account Garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Michigan. Can a Credit Card Company garnish a Christmas Fund Account? Thanks in advance for any answers, Veronica

Levy of Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

A Lawfirm has placed a levy on my bank account because of a Credit Card bill owed by my common law wife. Her name is also on my account. How do I get a release from this levy.

View more questions Search