Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nyrfan2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Child Support (NY) question
    Can my ex make my 18-year-old son (who is in college) pay rent for housing and still collect child support?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Hello ny:

It depends, of course, on the divorce decree. If, in the decree, he has rights to make such decisions, then he does. If not, your ex can't do anything OTHER than pay the court ordered child support.

I may not, however, understand your question correctly. I don't see a connection between your sons paying rent, and the father's obligation to pay child support.

excon
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Jan 16, 2007, 08:45 AM
    I think he/she means that the ex is getting rent from the child as well as child support from the other parent... The child support should be to take care of the child, house, food... etc. looks like they are just pocketing the $$ and getting paid from the child as well.

I am thinking child support ends at 18, but I really don't know how all that works.
    nyrfan2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2007, 08:47 AM
    What I meant was that I pay child support to my exm, and she is now asking my son to pay rent. Seems like double dipping to me. In NY, child support goes until 21 if child is in college... thanks for your help!
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Hello again,

Thanks s2, I get it now, I think. But my advice hasn't changed.

Some divorce decrees require the non-custodial parent to continue paying child support after 18, IF the child is in school. The father (ny), can't dictate HOW the child support is being used.

Again, In my opinion, there is no connection between the sons paying rent (to his mom - or to his dorm), and the fathers obligation to pay child support.

excon

Jan 16, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Hmm, that sucks. I mean I agree he still has a responsibility to pay child support, but I don't think its fair for her to get money to support the child, yet also charges her son for rent. I don't think that's fair to the child...

I remember my mom used to get checks for child support from her deceased husband. When I turned 18, the checks split, one to her and one to me. But then that was military and totally different... so yeah I duno.
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Hello again s2:

I actually think it's quite fair. I have seen very few, if any, child support arrangements that actually cover the cost of child support. So, in the bulk of cases, the custodial parent has to subsidize the child beyond their expected "half". In addition, child care goes up as the kid gets older, whereas, child support payments rarely go up with time, adding an even greater burden to the custodial parent.

By the time the kid reaches college age, I'd be willing to bet that his expenses go well beyond his mothers "half". And, at that time, if the kid has to pay some of the cost of his own support to his mother, it could be considered payback for all the extras she paid for, that dad didn't.

In that same vein, the payments are to the parent - not to the kid. What a mother gets or doesn't get, isn't even the kids business. The fact that he has to pay some of his own expenses is pretty good, I think.

Now, it's true, I have generalized quite a bit here, ny. Maybe your situation isn't the norm.

excon

Jan 16, 2007, 09:26 AM
    excon,

Put that way it makes a lot more sense! I guess I have my coworkers situation in my mind. He pays for absolutely everything for his son... his son is seriously spoiled. The child's mother is remarried and receives child support, but she is also always trying to get her sons father to give her cash so she can buy their son presents... its ridiculous to me cause she knows how much money he is making... of course its his fault for spoiling the boy too.

I guess I wasn't thinking about all of the single parents that don't get adequate support from the other parent... My bad.

I agree with you excon, thanks for putting into better perspective.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Child support can continue under many child custody agreements until the child is 21 if the child continues on to college and is living at home still.

And if that child is helping with household bills or not has no bearing on the child support agreement, not any more than the income of the spouse getting the support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child support question [ 4 Answers ]

I was always curious. The judge tells the husband he must pay $700.00 a Month in child support. Can he demand the wife keep an itemized list Of things she purchased on the child's behalf. He claims the wife is using his support money on herself?

Child Support Question [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Texas. My daughter's father took a job in Iraq for a very large pay increase last February. I have contacted the local child support agency but they say they can only modify the order if he is back in the states for at least 6 months. This won't happen for a long time. He comes back...

Another modification to child support question [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, After proposing mediation for a more structured visitation order, my ex-husband (Respondent)decided to get an attorney. I did pro-per (Petitioner) because it wasn't such a big issue to me, I just wanted something in writing instead of the assumptions as to who it was that had a weekend with my...

Child support and debt question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I used to live in the UK, but now am resident here in the states. When my ex husband and I divorced there were debts left from the marriage. Over here I am trying to pay them but alas about a year behind payment schedules which I shall be changing soon hopefully. One question is Will non...

View more questions Search