Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeG123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 03:14 PM
    Ceramic floor over mud floor
    I poured my mud floor and blew it. I have a few area's that are low, one spot almost 1/2". Im not about to tear the whole thing up but I also would like the floor as level as possible. I had planned to try and even the tiles off using the thin-set. From what Im reading, this might not be the way to go. I don't have room for backer board or another level of mud. Can I just use mortar to set the tiles and maybe float off the lower spots or build it up in those areas first?
    Im pretty sure I can work the tiles using the thinset and get them pretty close but I would like to be sure these things aren't going to start popping up in two weeks.
    Any help is much appreciated.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 6, 2011, 05:57 PM

Hi Joe, welcome,

Yea 1/2" is a lot, how large is the floor? You did a mud job? How thick is it? Is it a room or a shower floor or? How large is the area that is low in diameter?

Thin set is not the right stuff unless you want to do it in several steps. Self leveling cement, SLC is best for a floor, or patching cement if the floor is supposed to be sloped as in a shower. OOPPs, I see you mentioned backer board, so it's not a shower floor. Backer board would not fix the dip anyway.

What specific adhesive are you using? Size of tiles? Again, how thick is the "mud" you placed and was is it made from?

Jaz
    dimorphous Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2011, 05:53 PM
    Many manufacturers of adhesives and grouts for tile make a latex patch. This is a product that you can mix to the consistency you desire and apply with a flat trowel. It has latex or polymers already added so there is no need to prime the area you will apply over. I would mix small batches of this pretty thick and apply where you need them. You could also use a two foot level as a screed and mix this product thin enough to move around with the level and almost use it as a self leveling agent. Make sure that you use latex modified thinset for the tile installation as well. Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to do a mud job over old concrete floor in the basement [ 1 Answers ]

Help, I have a concrete floor in the basement about 300 square ft. floore has black mastic or tar which I am srcaping off as much as possible. Concrete floor is not in good shape it has some bomps and crack lines, can I do a mud job over about 1" tick, can you please advice the procedure of this...

Mud in basement floor drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have just discovered that my basement floor drain is filled with mud. It is not overflowing but is pretty high What can I do. I am a senior and not handy.

Can't get paper up from old vinyl floor. Laying ceramic tile on kitchen floor [ 5 Answers ]

I looked for a similar question on this site before asking and all I could find is a question about ripping up vinyl flooring to lay hard wood flooring down... So I will ask my question, I just got done ripping up the vinyl from my kitchen floor and plan to lay ceramic tile down tomorrow, I too...

Mud Floor Showerpan [ 3 Answers ]

I am putting in a custom shower on an existing cement slab. I already have by drain stub up, what kind of morter can I use for the shower pan? Thanks Everyone.

View more questions Search