Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ctpuentes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 11:13 PM
    How do you handle a roommate eviction in CA
    Roommate needs to be evicted, on a verbal month to month lease. Does the CA 60 day notice to a tenant apply? How do I handle this?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 05:02 AM
    I don't find the CA answer, but from my experience most states do not allow for the eviction of just one occupant. An Eviction is to get the apartment returned to the possession of the landlord. Which are you: The roommate who wants to stay, or the landlord?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2007, 07:41 AM
    It depends on how the lease is structured. If you are the lease holder and sublet to a roommate, then you are the landlord, and have to follow all evistion rules.

If you are both on the lease, then your landlord has to handle it.
    Ctpuentes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 12:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctpuentes
    Roommate needs to be evicted, on a verbal month to month lease. Does the CA 60 day notice to a tenant apply? How do I handle this?
    The details left out, I own the house and he is a roommate and rents one of the rooms without a written lease agreement. It was on month to month, but he's been paying on a weekly basis. So, I am the owner of the home, so how do I handle the eviction in California?? The new law states "60 day notice, to a tenant that has rented for more than one year...."
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 17, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Then give him 60 days notice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord/Roommate added roommate without discussion [ 8 Answers ]

My roommate is my landlord. Recently he decided to add roommate to the house. I was never asked,nor was it discussed in any way with me. Two days before the new guys moved in I got a phone call that said, we’re getting a new roommate. He moved into the room next to mine right on time. We, me...

Roommate eviction/Lease breaking [ 8 Answers ]

I rented a house with a 12 month lease. I am the only signer on the lease. A couple of months down the road, I got a roommate. He has been here for six months, but is not on the lease. I won’t bore you with the details of our problems. I made a mistake taking him in and now it is time for him...

Shower Handle [ 1 Answers ]

The single handle shower control knob needs to be turned slightly on to prevent dripping at the faucet when turned off. I also can't seem to get the water hot enough for my shower. Am I just catching the water heater at a "down" cycle or is something deteriorating in the handle mechanism?

Roommate vs. Roommate evicitions ? [ 13 Answers ]

I am on a lease to rent a room. I found another person to rent the other room. I have lived at this house for 3 years. He has lived here for two months. I want him out because he is a nuisance. My rights as a tenant does not specifically state me as a Principle Tenant, but I've been here the...

Kentucky eviction law motion for eviction [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I really need help I bought a house for 30,000 from a lady we have just a one simple page contract basically states I paid 15000.00 dollars down In April 05' and then make payments of 400.00 a month for 36 months Contract has no sell as is in it because at time of sale we the lady homeowner...

View more questions Search