Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeepboy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 11:08 AM
    2003 chevy Tahoe power seat and heater issue
    I recently purchased a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. All was well for a month and now the front seat warmers do not work, as well as the DRIVERS side (only) power seat controls. I have seen similar posts but not exactly the same issues. The lights do NOT come on for the warmers. I have read it could be as simple as going to the Chevy dealer and having them flash a prom. Also could be a memory module. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Obviously first thought was a fuse. But apparently not. I find it odd that BOTH warmers, yet only DRIVERS side power seat functions are affected.

Thanks in advance.
    Brian
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 07:00 AM

The schematics are difficult to explain but the seat movement is on a different circuit than the heaters. The heaters function through the memory module and the motors function through circuit breakers.
    Diag will be extensive due to the complexity of the different circuits.
    You'll need to verify that power is getting to the proper locations when operating the seat switches and you'll also need to do the same with the seat heaters.
    Do you have a non-powered 12 volt test light? A high impedance multimeter? Plus some basic tools in case the seats need to come out or apart?
    Tahoefix Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2011, 11:59 AM
    The same thing is happening with my 2003 Tahoe. Heaters began acting up a few months ago. Going off but eventually coming back on. Now the power to the driver's seat is out and the heaters for both front seats. Will this be costly to fix. Can live without the heaters but not seat adjustment.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 31, 2011, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoefix View Post
    The same thing is happening with my 2003 Tahoe. Heaters began acting up a few months ago. Going off but eventually coming back on. Now the power to the driver's seat is out and the heaters for both front seats. Will this be costly to fix. Can live without the heaters but not seat adjustment.
    Yes, the seat motors are on a different circuit than the seat heaters.

One of the most common failures with the heater system is the cushion elements themselves. The internal wires are so tiny that they're subject to breakage and then the circuit is open inside the seat cushion or seat back. Most repairs are done by simply taping a replacement element between the cover and the cushion.
    I remember my days at the dealership first removing one of these behemoth seats (they weigh more than most realize) then carefully removing the seat cover... I always thought it wasn't worth all the work...

Jan 31, 2011, 03:30 PM
    After doing quite a bit of research, I have read that it could just be as simple as a software issue. The dealer would need to flash the software to the memory module and that could be the fix.

There are a lot of people out there with the same prob --heaters in BOTH seats out, and the DRIVERS seat ONLY power not working---
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepboy View Post
    After doing quite a bit of research, I have read that it could just be as simple as a software issue. The dealer would need to flash the software to the memory module and that could be the fix.

There are a lot of people out there with the exact same prob --heaters in BOTH seats out, and the DRIVERS seat ONLY power not working---
    Yes, there are software updates available, for that system and others, too.
    If that fixes your particular issue, a software update can head off other issues that you may not even know about!
    Currently, the dealership is the most prolific place to go for updates... but will change soon. Stay tuned and when it happens, I will be able to tell you how and where.

Feb 1, 2011, 06:28 AM
    Thanks for the info CaptainRich...

Luckily the seat is stuck pretty close to where I want it.
    I live in Fla and the seat warmers are nice, but just a luxury item that I can live without for right now. I will prob go to the dealer in a week or two, but it isn't a huge priority today... I'll wait to hear what you were alluding to..

Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chevy Tahoe 3rd row seat [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to buy a chevy tahoe and I want to buy a 3rd row seat. However the vehicle has a factory carpet covering the space where the 3rd seat would go. I tried to check to see if I could feel wells where the seat would go and I found 4. I just want to make sure without cutting the rug if the...

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe seat control running backwards [ 1 Answers ]

My Tahoe drivers seat is working backwards on the forward and backward movement, and the front of the seat will not lower just the back half. Also why do my Daytime running lights keep blowing? Thanks

2005 Tahoe Power Seat [ 3 Answers ]

Drivers side power seat not operating - neither forward/backward, up/down, nor tilt work. Passenger side works fine. Heated seat function on both sides, driver and passenger, quit working at the same time. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

2003 Chevy Tahoe Power Seats and Passenger window don't work [ 3 Answers ]

My power seats aren't working, all the windows besides the passenger work. I read about a problem with the ground under the driver seat, does any one have more information about where the ground wire is? I could not locate it.

2003 Chevy tahoe seat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. When I try to move the seat up, it goes back. Also, when I try to move the seat back it won't do anything. Sometimes when I move the little nob, to move the seat, it doesn't never do anything! My wife and I can't reach the peddles. HELP! Thanks = )

View more questions Search