Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    javadataiy Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 03:44 AM
    Ping the subnet
    Hey, I want to know how to block computers in a subnet, that they do not be able to ping other computers on the same subnet,
    Thanks.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 01:51 PM

So you want a subnet that isolates PC communication from each other?
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jan 29, 2011, 06:39 AM
    This can be done with higher-end switches. Home switches generally can't do that. The feature you're looking for is sometimes called "Private VLANs" which in essence prevents all communication within a VLAN between devices but allows access only to the gateway. Any broadcasts within a subnet are also prevented (except to the gateway).

Jan 29, 2011, 10:05 PM
    Comment on ITstudent2006's post
    Thanks for your Answer, Yep That's what I want.

Jan 29, 2011, 10:08 PM
    Comment on cajalat's post
    Thanks cajalat for your answer, It really been very informative,, but I wanted to know can we do that with an OS distribution or IPSec Service?
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jan 29, 2011, 10:49 PM
    You can definitely accomplish what you want with the OS. But you will need to make the changes on every PC in the subnet. Each OS has a different way of doing this but ultimately what you want to do is block any inbound ICMP-Echo Request. This will allow all other ICMP messages to work except for PINGs.

So each computer that has this block enabled will not respond to someone else trying to ping them. They will be able to ping other systems though (so long as the other system doesn't have this block on it).

So if you have:

Machine A: blocks inbound ICMP Echo Request
    Machine B: blocks inbound ICMP Echo Request
    Machine C: No changes

Then

Machine A can ping C but not B
    Machine B can ping C but not A
    Machine C can't ping A or B

Keep in mind that "ping" is just a tool to check if a destination machine is "alive". Blocking Ping alone will not prevent someone from figuring out if your machine is "alive". They can run a traceroute for example to see if it responds.

Jan 29, 2011, 11:16 PM
    Comment on cajalat's post
    Thanks cajalat for your answer & time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does subnet mask works? [ 1 Answers ]

(I'm talking about IPv4. And this is not a school exercise... I take this example because I need to understand the point) Hello. ( Sorry for my poor english. If something in the following example is not clear what I want to understand is: HOW TO TRANSLATE AN ADDRESS WITH AN EQUIVALENT ONE (and...

Subnet masking [ 2 Answers ]

The address 172.16.208.16/20 which subnet

Ip subnet [ 2 Answers ]

My IP is 10.66.0.0 Subnet mask 255.255.0.0... what is my subnet? Is it 10.66.0.0/16 ?

Subnet Mask and Gateway [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find out my subnet mask and gateway? I am try to connect my wireless router.

Subnetting and Subnet Ranges [ 2 Answers ]

I would like someone to explain to me in simplest terms how to subnet and find subnet ranges. Thanks.:)

View more questions Search