Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hohol Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 09:27 PM
    What is marriage?
    This may seem like a stupid question but a friend and I have been wondering. What is marriage? Why do people stay with each other so long. Don't they get tired of each other? I would just like an outsiders opinion.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2007, 09:43 PM
    It is not a stupid question but there is a simple answer, it is a thing called love, and the only way you will ever know about it is to experience it first hand. You can add a little Faith, Trust and friendship.
    hohol Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Thanks it was a fun argument, and you have a really good point.
    Megg Posts: 421, Reputation: 53

Jan 15, 2007, 08:39 PM
    Well I'm engadged to a wonderful guy. He makes me laugh, he makes me smile when I'm sad. He gives me advice about anything and I can talk to him whenever I need to. Were bestfriends. Being married is just saying that you want to spend you life with this person. To take care of them whenever. To work out issues even when hope seems lost. Reason that we can be together so long is because everyday we learn something new about each other. B/c we love each other so much that we can't stand to not be with each other. This kind of love is much different than the high school love. When we mess up, we fix it and move on. Most time's in school you mess up and it's bye bye. Or if you see something better LOOKING (looks have most to do with it in school sadly) time to move on. I've been with my fiancé for 2 year's and we have almost ended it, but because of our love we work it out. Hope this answer's your question... if you have anymore just post another quick question
    !
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 16, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Marriage is waking up beside your best friend every day, coming home from work and seeing them, and going to bed beside them every night.

It's always knowing you have someone you can talk to, confide in, and count on.

It's announcing to the world that you believe in the person you love, that you support them, trust them and are proud to be by their side.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2007, 08:00 AM
    I disagree with the previous answers. They describe WHY you get married, but not necessarily what marriage is. Marriage is a civil and religious union between two people (generally of opposite sexes). The purpose of marriage is, essentially, to provide an framework to raise a family. There are both civil and religious rules about the responsibilities of both sides in a marriage.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 16, 2007, 08:14 AM
    You are correct, Scott. I should have more coffee before answering anything in the morning.

I guess I was answering the questions following "What is marriage" in the original question (why do people stay together so long without getting tired of one another), rather than addressing what marriage itself is.

I'll go back to my corner now.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Jan 16, 2007, 08:20 AM
    ScottGem is essentially correct.

The only thing I would add is that marriage is, in the end, essentially finding the missing part of the individual, and passing every desire that you have for yourself onto your partner as well... everything is shared.

Now, what that, in the end, means for you may be extremely different from what it means to anybody else in the world. Your marriage is for you. That's the plural you, of course... dratted languages without distinct second person forms...
    Kattalover Posts: 120, Reputation: 20

Jun 13, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    Marriage is waking up beside your best friend every day, coming home from work and seeing them, and going to bed beside them every night.

It's always knowing you have someone you can talk to, confide in, and count on.

It's announcing to the world that you believe in the person you love, that you support them, trust them and are proud to be by their side.
    That sounds wonderful. *sighs* I wish I had learned somewhere along the line how to be like this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Marriage [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, How does the Catholic church view marriage between a Catholic and Baptist? Thank you for your response to my question yesterday.

Marriage [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancé was put on probation almost 5 yrs ago. It was for a burglary that had taken place when he was 16. He is now 23 y/o and only 6 moths left on probation. We wanted to get married this winter, but his probation officer told us that she has to approve him to get married. I cannot find anything...

Marriage? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I am 16 and my boyfriend is 21, we have been together for 1 year. He is Asian and has recently experienced certain difficulties that have led to the involvement of the immigration department. He may be deported. We both agree that the only way that he will be able to stay in or return to this...

View more questions Search