Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dealra Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 08:10 AM
    I am having sewer gas problems .
    When the weather is cold I smell it the most. Last winter I had a roofer come over to rplace a vent pipe that snapped off because of the ice sliding off my metal roof. I thought the same thing happened again but another roofer checked it out and said the vent pipe is fine but that methane gas sinls lower then air when it's cold out. I need to do somehting because it is so bad in the master bedroom and master bathroom. If the vents pipes are't clogged or broken should I still have more things checked?"
    My house is 11 years old and on a septic system but the leach field is located a long distance from the house.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 23, 2011, 09:30 AM

I'd first check in the attic to make sure the vent stack isn't broken or cracked up there. When it is cold your furnace and hot water heater run more and they pull outside air into the home. They could be pulling in sewer gas. This is just a start because there are many ways your problem could come up including a failed wax ring under your toilet
    dealra Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2011, 10:25 AM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Pipe checked in the attic no break. The room that I am getting the smell in protrudes out from the rest of the house and it has many windows, could it be just that the sewer gas is accummulating in some nooks and crannys outside and then comes in?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer gas [ 1 Answers ]

There is a very strong sewer gas smell under a bathroom sink inside the cabinet. There are no obvious drain line breaks or leaks. Any idea where this is coming from or how ?fix it

Sewer Gas [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a new condominium on Biscayne Boulevard in Miami, Florida. We closed on the unit June 24,2008. Since the day of the closing we have been preparing the apartment with paint and flooring and have noticed at times a mild to moderate foul odor in the common hallway. The...

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

View more questions Search