Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melissia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 11:55 AM
    Claiming kids on your taxes that aren't yours
    Me and my husband have been split for 11 years. He doesn't pay taxes, never has never will, I am now living with my fiancé and have been for the last 9 years. Can he claim my two daughters, age 13 and 8, since I don't work? If he can't then can my mother and father claim them?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2011, 09:12 PM
    If your fiancé provides more than half of their total support AND they lived with hom for all of 2010, then, yes, he Can claim them as dependents.

However, he CANNOT claim the $1,000 Child Tax Credit because they are NOT his children. The way to correct this for 2011 is to get married, but to do that, you must FIRST get a divorce from your husband.
    Melissia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 08:27 PM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    Done went and done the divorce because he turned into a drunk, druggie and wife beater so I don't have anything to correct FIRST
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 09:13 PM

Even if your fiancé meets the requirements to claim the children, this does not make him head of household and he does not get earned income credit. He only get exemption deduction of $3650.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 08:55 AM
    Agreed; the lack of marital status is costing you both BIG time when you file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I got two kids am divorced and want to know my rights on claiming them on income tax [ 3 Answers ]

I am divorced and have two kids and want to know if I am allowed to claim one of them on my income tax

Claiming One of My Brother's Kids [ 6 Answers ]

I am wondering if this is legal. My brother has 3 kids and a wife. I was told by a female coworker that they would get the same amount back on taxes whether they claimed all three or just two. She said I could legally claim the third child on my taxes. Is this legal or not? Is it even true? Also, I...

Claiming your kids on taxes when custodial parent doesn't even work [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend pays quite a bit in child support. His ex-wife with his 2 kids and her new child and new husband recently re-located to the LA area from Texas. The ex-wife doesn't work and yet her new husband claims my boyfriend's kids on his taxes. It doesn't seem fair that another man is...

Claiming the kids on taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My ex bf has the legal right (court order) to claim our twins on his taxes. It was granted to him years ago when I wasn't working. I recently modified support and asked to be able to claim the kids again since I am working two jobs and the kids live with me. The judge said that he can't change...

Claiming kids on taxes [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I are not together anymore and we have two kids that stay with her 4 nights a week and myslf 3 nights. She has not had a job at all for the year of 2008 and she said that she wants to claim the kids. Can she do this with no income??

View more questions Search