Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trouble64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Removing tiles and grout from Bathroom wall
    I have tile that is on the wall behind my bathroom sink. I would like to remove it and paint the wall. How do I get the old dried grout off the wall?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 13, 2007, 03:04 PM
    When you remove the tile there will be significant damage to the drywall. You did not mention if you tile is plastic or ceramic but both will not come off clean. If you are lucky you might be able to flatten the wall with joint compound. Sand the compound, prime and then paint.
    If your sink is attached to the wall itself you will need to temporarily remove the sink and the mounting hardware.
    gunsguy Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 06:32 PM
    I agree although it may be more trouble than its worth, re-drywalling qwould save a lot of scraping and sanding..

Gunsguy
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 14, 2007, 12:02 PM
    I agree that this type of patch is not always worth the work. A lot depends on how the fixtures are mounted. Redrywalling is quite difficult if you have to remove the toilet and or sink cabinet. I'd personally go for new tile rather than trying to paint.
    williekerr72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2011, 04:50 AM
    I find it easy to remove old grout by using a wallpaper steamer on the same spot for a while which softens the grout & is a lot easier to scrape off. Well worth a loan or even purchase of a wallpaper steamer.
    jackhobbit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2013, 09:33 AM
    I have tried the tip about using a wallpaper steamer on the grout, and have cleaned off a whole wall today. Great tip, thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Set Tile Grout [ 7 Answers ]

My Son-in-law Tiled His Bathroom Floor And Did Not Wash The Grout Off The Tiles When He Was Done. Consequently, It Hardened. I'm Wondering Whether There's A Solvent For This Hardened Grout. The Tiles Do Not Have A Smooth Surface, But Rather Many Small Depressions And Grooves With The Hardened Grout...

Removing old tiles from cement floor [ 13 Answers ]

Anybody have a secret for removing the black adhesive left on a cement floor after removing old vinyl tiles? Maybe I should be asking whether I actually need to remove the adhesive. Right now the plan is to use 12" ceramic tiles for the new floor. In fact, now that I think about it I'm...

Tile grout left on wall [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way to remove tile grout after removing tiles. Some of the wall paper has come off in doing this. Can I just take all the paper off the wall and replaster it using wallboard plaster. Want to paint the wall

Removing tiles from concrete [ 3 Answers ]

What kind of tools do I need to remove tiles from concrete slabs?:)

View more questions Search