Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackjones Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2011, 10:40 AM
    Tax Form 2011
    My parents will claim me as a dependent. I'm a part time working student and will file as well. Which form should I use to get the biggest refund?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2011, 10:52 AM
    If properly prepared, the refund will be the same; it does NOT matter which form you use.

More than likely, Form 1040EZ will be the form to be used, but you have NOT provided enough information for me to determine FOR SURE that Form 1040EZ is best for you.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2011, 01:57 PM

If someone can claim you dependent, you can not claim your own exemption.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2011, 10:04 AM
    What MukatA says is true, but there are other issues involved.

MOST of the time, it makes sense to NOT claim your own exemption and let your parents claim you, because your $3,650 personal exemption is worth MORE to them than to you because they are likely in a MUCH higher tax bracket.

However, if their income is exceptionally high, your personal exemption is NOT the only issue. Education deductions/credits may also be a tax issue, and if their income exceeds a certain amount, they CANNOT claim these credits/deduction while YOU can, but only if you claim your OWN personal exemption.

If you want a detailed analysis, email me at [email protected] with your income level and your parents' income level and let me do an estimate (no charge).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT Tax Filing for 2011 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have graduated in dec 2009 and I am on Post Completion OPT and employed as an independent contractor on 1099 basis for five months i.e from (May 2010 - Sep 2010), and then changed to W2 from oct 2010 onwards. I did not file for taxes on 1099 also. So can you tell me how to file for...

Income Tax for guy returning to India in Feb 2011 after staying in US since Jan 2010 [ 1 Answers ]

I've been in US since 3rd-Jan-2010 and I'll returning back to India on 2nd-Feb-2011. Do I've to pay tax for the entire FY 10-11 ? What is the tax law. For the previous 5 years I was in India.

How can I get a tax refund without my W-2 form? How can I get my W-2 form my previ [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get a tax refund without my w-2?

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

Can you file more than one w2 form on one nys tax form or do you need additional forms? [ 1 Answers ]

We live in nys and my friend has had 3 different jobs throughout the year. Does he file all w2's on one form or have a form for each?

View more questions Search