Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Feedandseed Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 07:47 PM
    2001 Hyundai Sedan clutch slipping?
    Recently over the holidays me and my girlfriend were driving to visit family (approximately 280 miles). Once on the way up and twice on the return the engine seemed to drop the clutch. This happened only when I (or she) was stepping on the gas hard. I felt like 15 year old driving a stick! This is an automatic with only 70k miles on it. I know the old owner and can't believe he rode it hard. Is this most likely a sign that we will be replacing the transmission? Is it worth it on a car that was sold for so cheap? Is repairing it myself a bad idea as I am not a mechanic?

Any ideas would be great
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2011, 07:58 PM

ATXs are the weak link on all FWD vehicles. They need to be properly maintained, which usually means changing the fluid (and filter, if applicable) every 30,000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. If this has not been done, then it's common for the clutch packs, particularly for first and second gear, to prematurely wear and start to slip. With proper maintenance, ATXs can go the life of the vehicle. To me, it sounds like the transmission will soon need to be rebuilt or replaced. Before doing anything else, however, I would change the transmission fluid (and filter, if applicable) using Mobil 1 Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF. If this does not solve the problem, then it likely needs professional attention.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to build pressure 2001 honda civic clutch slave and clutch master [ 1 Answers ]

I have replaced clutch slave and replace the clutch master kit... tried bleeding it but there is no pressure, How do I get pressure to build... also clutch pedal is stuck and won't retract.

2001 F250 Clutch Slipping [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2001 F250 2wd 7.3 diesel. The transmission is starting to slip. I notice mostly when in high gear if I accelerate to pass. Is there an adjustment? Do I have to replace the entire clutch assembly or just part of it? Could it be something other than the clutch?

Clutch is slipping? [ 8 Answers ]

I have Nissan 350Z manual transmission. When I step on the gas while driving, the car instead of accelerating speed accelerates the engine speed for few seconds. Does it mean that the linig of the clutch is worn?

Hyundai Elantra slipping out of gear [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We have a 2001 Hyundai elentra, manual transmission, 70k miles and are very conservative drivers, i.e. we don't ride the clutch. Lately, during cold mornings only, 5th gear and 3rd gear slip out of place and go into neutral while driving. It's weird and does not happen during the day in...

View more questions Search