Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaydenmr6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2011, 04:01 PM
    US citizen filing tax return as marrief but wife has tax id.
    Hi my question is I'm filling tax return for the 1st time and I will be filling jointly with my wife as head of household since my wife doesn't work. I have a social security number but she doesn't she has a tax id number. Will I still be able to get the earned income credit and child credit.we will have two dependents. Please let me no.
    Thank you
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2011, 04:45 PM
    You cannot file "jointly" with "wife as head of household". Please clarify what you hope to accomplish.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 05:02 PM
    MA0641 has it right; you will file jointly with your wife even if she has an ITIN.

I assume the children have either SSNs or ITINs. If so, and if they were present in the United States, you CAN claim the Child Tax Credit for them if they were 16 years of age or younger at the end of 2010.

Whether you qualify for the Earned Income Credit depends on your income level.

Jan 10, 2011, 05:35 PM
    We are going to file jointly.
    Just my question will he be intitle to get the earned income credit even though I have an itin. Will he get a lot less money because I don't have a social security number?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 08:15 PM
    No, the ITIN makes no difference.

Jan 10, 2011, 08:25 PM
    Thank you very much.
    One more question can my husband claim my cousin who is 11years old.
    He has been taking care of here and will become her legal guardian
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2011, 08:31 PM
    Did he provide more than half of her total support and did she live with him for the entire year of 2010?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1Visa with wife in India, filing tax return for 3 states [ 3 Answers ]

I came to US on 26thJan2009 after getting married on 29thNov2008, my wife is still in India and she would be joining me here in May,10. She is not working and thus we have no other source of income. I am a consultant and thus keep moving around, I have 3 state taxes(CA, MA, TX) in total for...

UK citizen filing US tax return forms (5 years worth!) [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am a UK citizen. In 2003 as part of my BSc degree in the UK I worked in the US for about 6 months on a J-1 visa, and was paid with taxes being withheld from my pay cheques. I returned to the UK and while finishing my degree I continued to work for the same US company, but from the...

Correctly filing for tax return with an ineligible wife. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm an American citizen and I recently received my W-2 in the mail. This will be the first time I apply for a tax return. My wife and I was married in 2008. My wife however is a British citizen and does not have a valid social security number yet. I would like to know how if possible I can file...

US tax return filing Jointly with wife, canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1 B visa in US. I got married in July 2007. My wife is on H4 in US with me since Aug 2007. Before that she worked in Canada up to April so she is going to file her tax return in Canada. In this case, can I file my US tax return jointly with her? Do I need to declare her income...

Claim non-citizen wife on joint tax return? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I claim married filing jointly? Background: I am a U.S. citizen. I married with a J-1 visa student in Sept. 2006. J-1 status waived by U.S. govt in early summer 2007. Not completed any other change of status paperwork. Had child together Dec. 2007. Wife received no income in U.S. Her...

View more questions Search