Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hbrowne57 Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2011, 12:19 PM
    Moving tax credit
    Do I get tax credit for moving overseas?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 04:58 PM
    It is NOT a credit; it is sn sdjustment to income (a deduction) that is report on Form 3903 and listed on the Form 1040.

If you will continue to earn money that is subject to U.S. income taxes while you are overseas, then you can claim the deduction.

If your income is NOT subject to U.S. income taxes, or 2010 is the LAST year you will be liable for U.S. income taxes, then you are NOT eligible for the moving expense deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confusion over Child tax credit with ITIN applied along with Tax returns for 1st time [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am Raghu and my family came to US in May 2008 on H4 my spouse and 2 kids. I am aware of the fact that I can claim Child tax credit if I have ITIN for my child. But since there is change is process that we can't apply for ITIN separately and the same has to be applied along with Tax...

Are pre-tax IRA distributions earned income for the child tax credit? [ 2 Answers ]

Hopefully a CPA has a quick answer on this... When you take an early distribution from a pre-tax IRA, is it considered earned income for purposes of figuring tax credits like the child tax credit? I see nothing on the IRS site that makes it clear one way or another. However, considering the...

Form 1040X - Amended tax return for tax credit - lines 18-24 [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question about filling out the tax form 1040X. I am trying to apply for the first time home buyer tax credit. I have filled out form 5405, but need to complete filling out form 1040X but I can not get the numbers to add up. I need help understanding what I should put on lines 18-20....

F-1 Tax regarding Hope Tax credit, Moving expenses [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was student on F1 (Indian Citizenship) during whole of year 2007. I also paid my tuition fees amounting to ~4000 dollars. Do I qualify for the tax credit ? I have looked up on the internet and haven't found IRS publications regarding my eligibility. From what I got to know from other...

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

View more questions Search