Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clarkyboy Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2011, 10:27 AM
    I am salaried is it legal for me not to be paid for overtime or given time in lieu?
    This question is based over 40 hours per week, Am I expected to do any amount of overtime over my weekly hours for no overtime or time back because I am Salaried.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 9, 2011, 11:05 AM

The issue is not whether you are salaried or hourly but whether you are considered exempt of non exempt.

Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Coverage (Exempt vs. Non-Exempt -- The Online Wages, Hours and Overtime Pay Resource
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 11:17 AM

FLAS laws cover much of this but individual states can have ven more regulations. In most cases a salaried person is exempt from FLAS laws but not every single position. Hourly persons must be paid 1.5 their regular rate if they work over 40 hours in a given week per FLAS (fair labor standards act)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2011, 11:41 AM

In general salaried is just that, there are min yearly salary that has to be paid but it is not uncommon for salaried people to work 60 to 70 hours a week every week.

Welcome to the world of managers.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2011, 02:17 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Agree with Scott Gem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary worker docked for missed time, but not paid overtime [ 5 Answers ]

We just had a corporate company take over the dental office I work for. I was given the position of manager with a salary. They gave me an hourly wage increase to adjust for the overtime and bonus we were losing. I have over 30 hours of overtime not paid in the past 4 weeks. When I took 2 days...

Can a company pay overtime to a salaried employee [ 4 Answers ]

Worked over 40 hours in one week and was asked to work Saturday's for 8 hours each. Was told to keep track of my hours. 28 hours worked on numerous Saturdays and turned in my hours and now learned that they are only going to pay me half. Is this legal??

Calculating Overtime Rate for Salaried Employees [ 10 Answers ]

How is overtime rate calculated for a salaried employee who is paid monthly?

View more questions Search