Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steve001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 11:37 AM
    GM Delco gas furnace
    I've got a GM Delco furnace model 999 that won't produce heat. The pilot flame is working. I don't see any loose or broken wires. The thermostat clicks when turned on. Is this a DIY or time to replace it. Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2007, 12:07 AM
    You need to check the contacts on the gas valve for 24 volts AC. If not, it should be a fairly easy DIY to work back to the transformer and replace what isn't working. I have never messed much with a gas valve, and I am not sure I should tell you to.

If the furnace has a pilot light, it could be an old, less efficient one with a bad, or about to go bad heat excanger.

To do simple checks like this you do need some tools. A test light, a meter, or a voltage detector might be the best place to start with. I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. You do not have to open up housings and expose electrical contacts. You are looking at where your hand is, not where the meter is. Most people are capable of doing repairs and will get it going and not get hurt if they use a little sense. The voltage detector makes it even easier.
    swg Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 13, 2007, 08:13 AM
    It may be your thermostat. Pull cover off t-stat & jump a wire across your red & white wire. Also check the gas valve to make sure its in the on position.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 2 nights my furnace has been blowing out cold air. I have a furnace which is equipped with an ignition device which automatically lights the piolet. I did everything from cutting off the gas valve and power to furnace. When I restarted everything back up, the furnace came on but no air...

Gas furnace [ 3 Answers ]

Gas furnace made roger white 505a-241 contaroller flash 3 times error code that means pressure switch stuck open. I don't know and where is the pressur switch. Please help. Thanks

Gas furnace - no flame [ 4 Answers ]

Hope someone out there can help, because it's going to get cold this weekend! I have a split HVAC unit with furnace in attic. Written on front of unit is Intertherm. Inside panel of unit says Nordyne, and the Ignition Control is Robert Shaw. The unit is 13 years old and the heat worked fine...

Gas furnace not turning on [ 1 Answers ]

I've replaced the thermostat but my old one was so dated I couldn't see any significant number settings e.g. anticipator setting. What's that?

Gas furnace [ 14 Answers ]

Igot a 1972 carrer furnace it catches fire at the spud part of burner I got 11.5 inch watter column preasure on line you can cut it off turn it back on and it burns good blaze looks good I need some comet on air ajustment or what might be causing this I have cleaned the burners , thanks.

View more questions Search