Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jamespuck Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Bank levy questions
    I recently received a notice of levy for unpaid taxes. The letter had 5 different banks included in the levy although I had accounts at only one. My question is, Can I still cash personal checks from individuals using these banks? Can I cash any checks at any bank?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 12, 2007, 08:17 AM
    If you deposit checks in an account that has a levy against it, the bank will have to seize the proceeds and apply it to wards the levy. I doubt if you will be able to just cash checks against that account.

Here's a radical idea, pay your unpaid taxes and get the levy lifted.
    Jamespuck Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Thank you for the advice as I am trying to pay my taxes and straighten out the situation. The question I wanted answered was If someone writes me a personal check from their bank, can I cash that check at their bank? Again Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 12, 2007, 09:15 AM
    If their bank will cash it, you should be OK.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Yes, often your bank checks to see what your account balance is when they go to "cash" it, in case it bouces then you have the funds to cover it, so your own back may not be as willing to cash a check drawn on another bank.

You may have to take the check to the bank it was drawn on and pay a fee for them to cash it for you. Of find a bank that will

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank levy [ 1 Answers ]

My husband had a bank levy done where they took everything out of our acct. I was unaware of the money due. At this point, he has been disabled for 14 months and not working because the dr.'s said he cannot work. How do I contest this being it is my work money in the account. The sherrif's...

Bank levy [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Last week I deceided to clear up my credit report so I pulled it and began paying off. One of debts was a judgemnt for 700. And soome change but we settled it and I paid . No yesterday I go to my savings acct and that same company I paid took out 1680.00 out of my acct. Now mind you when I...

Bank Levy [ 6 Answers ]

I had a bank levy put on my bank account and the outstanding balance was paid in full. My problem is that they took too much money out of my account. The company that took the money took $2000 more then they were supposed to. I've been calling them for a month to try to get my money back and...

Bank levy [ 2 Answers ]

I am 59 years old and have been through some difficult times recently. Today I learned that my bank account had a levy placed on it. There was only $533. In the account but it is all the money I have. Is there anything I can do to get it back. As a side note the bank took $100. As a processing fee.

Bank levy [ 9 Answers ]

:confused: Today I received papers on a bank levy to my account seeing how I only had a few dollars in there they took it. Will they keep coming after everything that I deposit until the debt is cleared? Because my check is direct deposited what do I need to do please someone help me.

View more questions Search