Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    docu_girl Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2011, 05:50 PM
    Help with the book 'Oryx and Crake' by M. Atwood.
    I'm an IB student and I have my IOP (individual oral presentation) for English Lit (HL). I really need help with writing a monologue for Jimmy's immediate reaction to Oryx's and Crake's death. I'm really confused. Don't know how to start n go on.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2011, 06:04 PM

How long does the monologue have to be?

In your own words (ten or fewer), what was Jimmy's immediate reaction to their death?

Jan 3, 2011, 06:27 PM
    It hs to be about 1500 words.. Have you read the book?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 06:33 PM

Have YOU read the book?

In your own words (ten or fewer), what was Jimmy's immediate reaction to their death?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 06:46 PM

I hereby unsubscribe to this question. You don't want help; you want someone to write this for you.

Jan 3, 2011, 06:53 PM
    Well.. honestly? I'm reading it NOW.. hvnt got there yet, the point is I'm really behind cz we've discussd it at class already..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by docu_girl View Post
    well..honestly? im reading it NOW..hvnt got there yet, the point is im really behind cz we've discussd it at class already..
    I'm still here. I can't help you until you've read that part.

Jan 3, 2011, 06:55 PM
    Oh n NO, I don't want that... I want help, cz I'm out of time, I AM reading the book, just panicking cz I behind, and my IOP is in a week..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 06:56 PM
    Oh n NO, i dont want tht...i want help, cz im out of time, i AM reading the book, just panicking cz i behind, n my IOP is in a week..
    What page are you on now? I can't give you any help until you've finished the book.

Jan 3, 2011, 06:57 PM
    But Thnak You anyway.. When I finish if You can help, I'd really appreciate that.

Jan 3, 2011, 06:57 PM
    I''ll just let you know when I'm done.. im on section 6
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 06:58 PM
    But Thnak You anyway.. When i finish if You can help, I'd really appreciate tht.
    When you get to their deaths, start really concentrating and take note of what Jimmy does. Post here and I'll be watching for you.

Jan 6, 2011, 11:18 PM
    Well... I finished the book. Personally I think, though I'm not so sure.. it comes as a shockto jimmy, because the chapter ends on "Jimmy shot him." so its like a momentary edning.. I don't think he was mourning much about Crake though.. he was to some extent.. but there he's a bit angry at him.. but again.. im rily bad at this kind of stuf.. im rily not sure if the way I perceive the characters is right..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 7, 2011, 09:23 AM

I suggest you now make an outline for your monologue. Once you have an outline, you can begin to flesh it out with details. You might want to keep in mind the parallels with the Creation story in the Bible. Also, Crake's real name is Glenn, after Glenn Gould, a famous pianist, and Crake has Asperger's syndrome, thus his being a brilliant geneticist/mad scientist. (Did you ever watch the TV sitcom, Big Bang Theory?)

Here's a summary of the book, chapter by chapter --

Casebook - Oryx and Crake

and a critique --

http://dl1.yukoncollege.yk.ca/SOCI209/discuss/msgReader$595?print-friendly=true

and another --

Oryx and Crake - Alien_wiki

Jan 7, 2011, 03:48 PM
    Thnk You a lot, but does it mention in the book that Crake has that syndrom? And a question.. do you think Jimmy killed crake in shock n like got a shock after realising what he did? Or was he angry at crake n killed him understanding the situation as much as he could.. n didn't regret it at first..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 7, 2011, 04:02 PM
    Thnk You a lot, but does it mention in the book that Crake has that syndrom?
    No, the Asperger's is not mentioned in the book. Atwood does mention that Crake's real name is Glenn, and he was named after a famous pianist who has Asperger's -- as does Crake (i.e. the mad scientist stuff) -- a parallel.
    do you think Jimmy killed crake in shock n like got a shock after realising what he did? Or was he angry at crake n killed him understanding the situation as much as he could.. n didn't regret it at first..
    Tell me -- why did Jimmy kill Crake?

Jan 7, 2011, 07:44 PM
    Cz crake slit oryx's throat...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 7, 2011, 08:37 PM
    cz crake slit oryx's throat...
    And why did he do that to her?

Do you have a format to follow for the monologue?

Jan 7, 2011, 08:46 PM
    I'm guessing for Jimmy to shoot him.
    Well.. I need to write approx. 1500 words of monologue and 1500 words of rationale for the monologue.. explaining the techniques.. why did I do what I did, why did the author present it in that way.. blah.blah.. but it has to be very concentrated and detailed
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 8, 2011, 12:14 AM

This is due on Monday?

Did you make an outline yet?

I'm not sure I understand the rationale part.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do I have 2 thermostats.. 1) Atwood openflameburner 2) Coleman with A/C [ 0 Answers ]

Appreciate input... have 2 thermostats... 1) ATWOOD open flame burner, 2) Coleman with A/C attached.. Have a Coleman Furnace... My modular home is 1 yr old... what is the purpose of the ATWOOD?? The prev. owner died and have called heating companies, and even they DONOT know what it is doing on...

What is an atwood open flame burner thermostat ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have e 2 thermostats... 1) AS read on front.ATWOOD OPEN FLAME BURNER... 2) Coleman... I have a Coleman furnace... what is the purpose of the ATWOOD?? I live in a park model modular... thanks.

What's the causes of disagreement between bank pass book and cash book? [ 1 Answers ]

Explain the causes of disagreement between bank pass book(statement) and cash book. What circumstances, such a statement is prepared.

Atwood furnace 8520 ignites and goes out, was told not enough gas pressure? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a atwood gas furnace model 8520 IV in my rv I was told it did not have enough gas pressure, do you know how or where to adjust on valve?

Looking for book from The Weekly Reader Book Club, 60's or 70's, paperback, on WWI. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I trying to find a book that I bought in the mid-60's from The Weekly Reader Book Club. I believe it was simply called World War I. It's a small paperback. There's pictures in the book, one of which is subtitled "Doughboys to the Front". In this photo is my grandfather. I loaned...

View more questions Search