Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2011, 05:46 PM
    Pex pipe
    Hey guys, first of all happy new years to ask me help desk and everyone behind the scenes. Great site. Now to why I'm here. I want to change all of my water lines. I've read a lot about pex piping. I know there are some pro and cons about pex. My question is am I better off with copper or pex piping? I live in Chicago and copper tends to freeze here in the windy city. I'm sure you guys know what happens when copper pipes freeze.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 2, 2011, 08:29 PM

Hi David...

PEX tubing... no doubt, but run everything a tubing size larger than normal as the fittings fit internal to the piping and reduce the tube sizing, accordingly.

Here, a 1/2" PEX tubing will have a fitting that fits inside the 1/2" tubing leaving you with a 3/8" internal diameter of the fitting...this makes the 1/2" PEX tubing a 3/8" tubing...;)

Keep the PEX tubing at least 24" off any appliances that deal with heat like hot water heaters or boilers.

Also, PEX tubing rocks when it comes to freezing... tends to expand and not burst... great choice in cold climates!

Glad to discuss more if you want...

Mark

PS: All kinds of different PEX systems out there. Check your local plumbing supply store and see if they will RENT the special tools required for these systems... could save you a couple hundred bucks!
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2011, 09:22 PM

David, I agree with Mark. Here's a good read about Pex. Good luck http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/DesignGu...esignguide.pdf

Jan 2, 2011, 09:27 PM
    So can I use pex pipe from my water boiler? Since the water from the boiler is pretty hot. Also, what size would I use coming from main line into the house? I think there is 1 1/2 inch galvanized right now. :confused:
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 04:31 AM

Hi DA140...

How many bathrooms in the house and how big is the water heater?

And no, you cannot use PEX right off the boiler as I indicated above... ;) You must run copper tubing to at least 24" off all appliances that have any heat source and then you can start running PEX from there.

Let me know more...

Mark

Jan 3, 2011, 07:16 AM
    Well, this is a two story building with a finished basement. Basement and first floor have kitchen sink, bathroom sink, toilet, shower, and two water lines for outside which is only cold water. Also two washers.
    Second floor has a kitchen sink, shower, bathroom sink, and toilet.
    Are there any pics available that shows this type of plumbing?

Thank you Massplumber2008
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 12:30 PM

Hi Davidadrian...

Actually, Parttime posted a really nice link with almost all the information you need to design your own system.

Click on the link in his post. It takes a couple minutes to upload but it is a great resource that I have consulted a few times myself over the years... ;)

Pop back with any questions, OK?

Mark

Jan 3, 2011, 03:21 PM
    Thank you for your help Massplumber2008 and parttime. You guys are all right.;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

PEX Pipe For Refrigerant? [ 1 Answers ]

I try to use PEX pipe to replace copper pipe for Aircorn units. I try to use R22 and R410. The result after 6 month still working and no leaking and cracking on the pipe. My question is : The PEX can stand the Refrigerant, Why no body apply it.

Is there an Iron Pipe x PEX crimp fitting out there? [ 5 Answers ]

This is a hydronic heating application question. I am gut-remodeling a 1920's 2-story. I want to save the cast iron radiators. I ran PEX for the heating runs to each radiator but don't want to come through the floor with PEX. So, my question is (since I think there is a risk of corrosion...

PEX Re-pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for info on how a PEX re-pipe is suppose to look. I'm re-piping through the attic and intend to use a manibloc but have no idea what it should look like.

Pex pipe dia: how do size? [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to slowly re-plumb my house with pex pipe. I would like to use the smallest dia. Pipe to reduce volume of hot water wasted. How do a figure if it can be done with 3/8. Or is this just out of the question. The longest run to a bath room is 50ft; The short to the kitchen 40ft. Water...

PEX pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I need to run some water lines for a bathroom I am installing in my basement. All the water line in my house now are PEX lines. If I need to run lines for sink,toilet and shower can I tap into a hot and cold line any where and use one line split off three ways too run all. Or is there a better way...

View more questions Search