Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NJ__renter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Occupant vs. tenant rights in NJ
    I am the listed "resident/tenant" on an apartment lease in NJ. I do not actually live in the apartment, but rather have 2 other individuals living in it. In one section of the lease, these 2 individuals are actually listed as "Occupants". These 2 individuals are neither listed as "residents/tenants" anywhere nor did they sign the rental agreement. It was verbally agreed that the occupants would pay the rent since they would occupy the apt. But they have been late frequently enough to cause several eviction processes to commence, which were later halted by payment in full, either by them or by me. Note, these eviction notices were filed against ME, not them, since I am the legal tenant.

Question: How can I legally "evict" these problematic occupants from MY apartment and would this even be considered an eviction? The property manager insists these 2 individuals have no legal tenancy rights and that a simple note from me to remove them from the lease and a request to change the locks is all that is needed. Second, if it comes to that, how do I handle their personal belongings if they do not remove items from my apartment?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Hello NJ:

You are their landlord, and you must evict them per NJ law. You have the lease. They only have a month to month tenancy. Therefore, it just might be easier to give them a 30 day written notice. If they don't vacate, you file the papers. Who is going to question your authority? You ARE their landlord, aren't you?? You made the agreement with them, didn't you? That makes YOU their landlord.

Whether you legally could have rented to them, or not, isn't the issue. What's at issue here, is you DID rent to them.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant rights [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for "tenant rights answers"... here is my situation: I have lived in the same house for over 8 years; the first 7 years was as the paying housemate with the owner of the house at which time the owner bought another house and moved to that one he now lives in; while I remained in this...

Tenant Rights VS Roommate Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I, the master tenant, recently took on a roommate. I paid $1675.00 (79%), and he paid $450.00 (21%) of the total rent. He lived in my apt for 10 days and moved on the 11th. He was a nuissance as he slept all day and tackled chores, i.e. laundry in the early hours 12:40 AM. So, due to our different...

Occupant Rights [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I'm an occupant listed on the lease. My uncle is the primary tenant, however he Travels frequently and is rarely home. Is there a specific time limit that the primary tenant has to occupy the premises? Can the occupant be evicted ?

Tenant vs Occupant in NJ; Corporate Rental? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question and not sure where to turn, I have a residential rental property. I have the lease ready and it was sent back to me by the "tenants lawyer. He asked that the lease be changed from "Tenants" to Occupants. And that the "Occupants" be listed as Managers from their corporation...

View more questions Search