Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paweltq Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 10:27 PM
    Dual-status alien choosing to be treated as resident alien
    Hello,
    I hope I can get some advice here. I am married, and both me and my wife live in US. I used to be J-1 student, and she used to be J-2 dependent. On January 14, 2010 my status in US was changed from J-1 to H-1B, and her's was changed from J-2 to H-4. I understand we are both now resident aliens as we meet the substantial presence test. In that case, however, I am dual-status alien for tax year 2010 (I started as nonresident alien, and then became resident alien sometime during 2010). My understanding is that I can choose that both of us are treated as resident aliens according to section "Choosing Resident Alien Status" in Publication 519, and file a joined tax return:

If you are a dual-status alien, you can choose to be treated as a U.S. resident for the entire year if all of the following apply.
    You were a nonresident alien at the beginning of the year.
    You are a resident alien or U.S. citizen at the end of the year.
    You are married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien at the end of the year.
    Your spouse joins you in making the choice.
    This includes situations in which both you and your spouse were nonresident aliens at the beginning of the tax year and both of you are resident aliens at the end of the tax year.

Am I reading this correct? Finally, I see that we need to attach a declaration that we qualify to make the choice and that we choose to be treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year. Could you please point me to an example of such a statement?
    To make things simpler, neither of us have any income outside of US, and we have not earned any money while we were in J status in 2010.

Thank you very much for your help!
    Pawel
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 30, 2010, 09:26 PM
    Yes, you are reading it correct. You can file jointly with your wife.

Include in the statement the tax year and any phrasing that includes all the info that is called for by IRS Pub 519.

Dec 31, 2010, 08:47 AM
    Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert! At least now I know I can file jointly with my wife no matter what. I have one more question though. I was going through details of Pub 519. The publication has the following under the dual-status aliens/first year residency definitions:

"If you are a U.S. resident for the calendar year, but you were not a U.S. resident at any time during the preceding calendar year, you are a U.S. resident only for the part of the calendar year that begins on the residency starting date. You are a nonresident alien for the part of the year before that date."

Now, the key expression is the residency starting date. It is defined below that statement as follows:
    "Residency starting date under substantial presence test. If you meet the substantial presence test for a calendar year, your residency starting date is generally the first day you are present in the United States during that calendar year."

As I was present in US as of 01/01/2010 (I entered US well before that date, and my status from J-1 to H-1B was changed while I was in the US), would that mean my residency starting date is actually the first of January, and I am actually considered resident alien no matter what? That would mean I do not need to attach any statements to my return, and can e-file everything making it such a simple process :)

Thanks for advice!
    Pawel
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 31, 2010, 09:42 AM
    The time you were in the U.S. while under the J-1 visa does not count in Substantial Presence Test calculations.

You do the calculations as if 1 October 2010 is your first day in the United States.

So the statement AND the mailing of the return ARE required.

Dec 31, 2010, 10:07 AM
    AtlantaTaxExpert, thanks for your time. I am still a little bit confused though. Can we clarify a bit? I changed my status from J-1 to H-1B on 01/14/2010, and not in October as you mentioned in your answer. I am not counting the days I was on J-1 in 2010 in the substantial presence test for year 2010. As I changed status to H-1B on 01/14/2010, I pass this test of course. I am referring to the Residency starting date under substantial presence test. The definition in Pub 519 states:

"If you meet the substantial presence test for a calendar year, your residency starting date is generally the first day you are present in the United States during that calendar year."

I was in US on 01/01/2010 (and was not traveling internationally at all in 2010), so my suspicion was that my residency starting date IS actually on 01/01/2010. Isn't that correct? The definition for residency starting date does not mention any specific visa type, like J-1, H-1B or whatever else. That is only mentioned in substantial presence test, but I take that into account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual-status alien or alien resident income tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am getting ready to prepare our 2009 tax returns and am not sure what to do. I am a US citizen. My husband is a permanent resident. He arrived in the US from Italy in February 2009 on a K-1 visa. We married in March and he got his green card in July 2009. My husband worked in Italy...

Dual status alien or resident alien for tax purposes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I come from Poland, in September, 15 th. 2006 I came to the USA on J1 visa (scholar), and I have been on it ever since. Can I fill tax refund for 2008 as a resident alien (1040) or I am rather considered as dual status alien? Can I fill the taxes jointly with my wife she came with me and...

Am I a resident alien or dual status alien? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Friends, I would like to know what category I would fall under for tax purposes. I was on F1 OPT until Jan 10th 2008 H1B from Jan 11- October 30 I left the country after that and I am presently in India.

Resident alien, nonresident alien or dual status [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, I arrived in US on Jan 6, 2004 with F-1 visa. I graduated in May 21, 2007. From May 21, 2007 until November 30, 2007 I was with OPT (that is considered still F1) and worked for a company in US. From October 1st until now (2008) I am under H1B visa working for the same company...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

View more questions Search