Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heathercox09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2010, 01:25 PM
    Settlement and how long will it take to receive check
    My husband goes Jan 26th to settle with the workmans comp board. After reaching an agreement, how long will it take to receive a check, and since we are in Chapter 13 BK, how much can they take or what is the process?
    CinnamonBrownie Posts: 45, Reputation: 13

Jan 3, 2011, 07:29 PM
    Probably your best bet is to ask your lawyer -- I'm presuming you have one if you're in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy (my understanding is they're more complex than a Chapter 7). He's obligated to answer questions like that since you're his client.

In any case I'm sure someone who wants to give more than the most general of answers would at least need you to post your state and bankruptcy court jurisdiction.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 07:40 PM

First the workers comp board may or may not make a ruling that day, most likely they will hear the case, perhaps one side or the other will continue to another hearing, They may take a few weeks to make a final decission, and then the other side can still appeal in most states, if they wish.

Even after there is a amount ordered, it could be anywhere from 30 to 60 days, for the insurance company to issue a check.

Also on the bankruptcy, depending on how much it is, there is an exempt amount allowed by your state law, most likely they will take all money over that amount. Or if it is large enough, it may even effect the status, So depending on the size, you may want to discuss this with your attorney

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long would it take to receive drum set [ 1 Answers ]

I'm thinking about ordering a mapex meridian from a local drum store. How long does it normally take for mapex to send it custum equipment out. Thanks

Disbursement of settlement check [ 9 Answers ]

My father is deceased, mother still alive, a settlement check was received made out to "Mother..., Estate of Deceased Father". Does my mother receive the entire check or should it be split between my mother and her 3 adult sons?

Didn't receive my last pay check upon termination [ 1 Answers ]

I was out from September 24th through November 26th having surgery. My boss told me that they would pay me my salary and not to go on disability. When I returned back to work on December 1st at my bosses request, I was terminated due to failing economy. When I asked for my last check, he stated...

Unemployment how long I have to work to receive [ 1 Answers ]

How long do I have to work to get unemployment

Can she receive this settlement? [ 2 Answers ]

My friend is thinking about getting a divorce. Her question is, her husband got hurt at work and is in the process of getting a settlement. It could take up to 3 or 4 years before it is settled. If she divorce him before that time... would she receive any of that money when received?

View more questions Search