Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barbieisabel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2010, 02:50 PM
    Won't give me my deposit back
    I live in Florida, I was talking to this lady and I was going to rent a duplex unit from her, I asked her before hand about the credit requiremtns because I have bed credit and she said it was okay. I went to go see the apartment and I liked it, I gave her a deposit of $150, I spoke to her later that night and she said she had to run a credit check and that the final decision would be rested on that, I said okay but I needed a decision quickly because it was Dec12 and I had to move by the end of the month. I was going to fax her the information on Monday, she was busy and told me to call her on Tuesday. On Tuesday late in the afternoon I got an approval from another community. She still had not called me about faxing her the papers, I asked for my deposit back and she said she won't give it back because I wasted her time. Can I get the deposit back?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2010, 02:53 PM

What type of paper work was signed or agreed to,

What type of deposit ?

It sounds like you made an offer but there was never an acceptance,

And call you about faxing the papers? You fax them, does not matter if she is there or not, a fax receives day or night, why did she have to call you ?

Depending on the agreement of what the deposit was for, will make a difference and the written application statemetns

Dec 24, 2010, 02:58 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Only verbal agreements were made, the deposit was to hold the apartment, the fax machine is tied to her house phone but she would need to connect it to receive, I called her four times on Monday and two on Tuesday.

Dec 24, 2010, 02:59 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    No documents were signed and I do have someone present when I hgave her the deposit to hold the unit, nothing was mentioned then either about the credit application.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2010, 03:03 PM

Please don't use the comment feature to give answers, answer your own post with the answer button.

If a deposit is given to HOLD an apartment, then you have agreed to take it and the money is given for them to keep if you back out, ( if they have to just give it back there is no reason for a deposit to be sure you will take it or they will have the money to pay them for their trouble)

So when you give money to someone to hold something for you, then they keep the money if you don't take it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I surpose to give half of my deposit back if he break the lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have a roommate ,we both sign the lease ,now he wants to move out ,he want me to pay him half the deposit back! He is breaking the lease but he want me to pay he half the deposit so he can move across the street from me .he is still living here do he owe me rent for the month of April and do I...

My Landlord Won't Give Me My Deposit Back I singed a contact in October 2008 for six [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented a property from October 2008 for six months since then I have continued living and paying rent in the property with no further contract as when I asked for one was told it is a rolling rent now I want my deposit back to move and the original agent that I pay the rent to and who took...

How many days notice do you have to give in order to get your deposit back [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I rented a 3 bedroom house in ellsworth Kansas and I was not on the lease we got into a fight and broke up and the landlord didn't like me so since I was not on the lease she gave me 2 days to get all of my stuff and move out. I also have two small children ages 1 and 2 so I had...

My landlord doesn't want to give me back my deposit [ 7 Answers ]

The landlord is in the middle of divorce' process and they decided to sell the house, but he said that his ex-wife should pay the deposit because she was the agent who made the rental agreement because she used to work as a real state but not anymore, she said that he said that she is not in charge...

View more questions Search