Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yaquith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2010, 07:17 AM
    Basement water intrusion
    I have a basement that has water seepage at the joint of the concrete block wall and the cement floor. I also have stained and damp concrete walls which would indicate that there is moisture in the walls. The seepage problem only develops during raining periods that last for a couple of days. Which would to indicate that I have a ground water issue, my questions are how do you dry out the concrete walls (if possible) and stop the seepage?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2010, 09:09 AM

The hard fix, but best way, is to dig down on outside to foundation and water proof from bottom to 6'' below grade.

Install gravel and drainage pipe to move water away from house.

When grading ground pitch away from house.

As added help paint inside with water proofing paint. Will need 2 coats.

Hope this helps.

Chuck
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2010, 10:56 AM

Yaquith, make sure your down spouts are directing the water away from your foundation. A bad gutter job can cause wet basements. Good luck
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 24, 2010, 11:36 AM
    I just went through this. 43 year old house. Turns out concrete goes through changes over about 20 years, not just the first few weeks, I've read, and 20 years ago is when this house started leaking. Concrete starts about about 18% porous. It has to be sealed and there is no sealer yet that lasts forever.
    Plus the drainage pipe was packed solid with dirt, was improperly put at the wrong level, and didn't run past the edge of the house anyway.
    Plus the slab had shrunk away from the wall at one or 2 spots, probably early on, but leaking more and more as drainage failed, into the crack along the wall.
    And downspouts were not directed away.
    Old tar type exterior waterproofing was almost all gone, barely visible anymore.
    So... fix all of the above with various sealants inside and out, tars, crack epoxies, footing drains, gravel, filter cloth, insulation if northern, downspout diverters, and even French drains further out from the house. Some people have to have sump pumps.
    It's a lot of work to do it right.
    If you can't afford excavation, do what you can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Intrusion [ 3 Answers ]

I own a condo. My next door neighbor a tenant left two water faucets on upstairs when his water had been shut off. When the water came on the condo flooded in turn flooding my unit. Lots of damage, fans, cut drywall etc. I turned his water off and reported to the landlord. Now their insurance...

Basement drain keeps leaking water into our basement [ 3 Answers ]

We have lived in our house for over a year and have no problems with plumbing until this week. One of our basement drains keeps over flowing. Nothing is running. Like a dishwasher,washer, etc.) I noticed it during a heavy rain day but it has not rained in two days but more water keeps pouring out...

Daylight basement water leak, cause by broken water pipe or saturated ground water? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 units 3 stories with daylight basement apartment. Build in 1960. Just bought it few months ago. Last year the previous owner had a bad flood in the daylight basement after long period of rain. They cleaned out the area, remodel it. Good for few months, last couple of weeks rain long...

Water coming out of basement shower and flooding basement [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a home about 2 months ago, and immediately there were flooding issues in the basement. At first I wasn't sure why the carpet in the middle of the basement was getting soaked. Now I see that the water is coming from the shower drain in the basement bathroom. This happened after the...

Bamboo Intrusion [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know a sure way to kill bamboo? My neighbor planted bamboo in his back yard and now the roots have come under the fence and threaten to eat up my yard. How about drilling a hole in the stumps and filling it with Round-Up? Any suggestions? Thanks, speedball1

View more questions Search