Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sneakers Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2010, 06:12 AM
    How can I get my dog to stop barking at everything?
    I have a dog named Daisy. She is in the backyard. She is very very lovable. She is a Beagle Mixed Lab. She barks at frogs, birds, people, bees, cats, squirrls, rabbits, cars, lawnmowers, etc. I would like help trying to make her quiet down some.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 24, 2010, 08:27 AM
    Barking is so tough to handle.
    It's funny because Beagles are barkers and labs aren't, generally.
    Dogs can learn 'no bark.' Mine all have but all also either keep barking (somewhat apprehensively) or woof through closed mouth, trying very hard to stop. I'm a lazy trainer.
    It takes a ton of training. Distraction, command, and then praise. Over and over. With a tiny treat or not, maybe randomly. Bring a toy. Rub her tummy. Being on her back puts you in alpha position. Bring in inside.
    When you issue an type of NO keep it short and sharp. Take a moment to stare down your dog. A dog is not a human.
    But also no wheedling, no yelling, no hitting.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 24, 2010, 09:45 AM

When you say Daisey is in the back yard, do you mean she is kept there all day long? A lot of dogs will bark out of sheer boredom. They want to interact. They are pack animals by nature, so being left on their own for extended periods is like you being isolated. They need interaction.

Barking can be fixed a few different ways. One way is to teach the leave it command, leave it basically means, stop doing what ever you are doing. So when they start barking, chasing things or even digging, you say the command leave it. Get his attention with a chew toy or a bone. And praise him when he stops doing what you don't want him to do.

Another trick is the spray bottle. I am not really a fan of this method, only because some dogs can actually become fearful, and I don't think a dog should ever be trained in fear. But if he doesn't become scared, just a quick, small burst of water to the face an do the trick while telling him to SHUSH or quiet in a firm "I mean business" voice. Of course I wouldn't suggest doing this in winter or colder temperatures.

If your dog is simply bored, a little extra exercise and play time can tucker him out, leaving him with no energy to bark at everything that casts a shadow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't stop barking [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old Aussie Shepard mix and he is always barking when we go out. I have tried a mussel and discipline , covering his crate and putting him with a play mate I have now moved on to shock collar (spray collar and sound dose not work either). And the barking has stopped but now he...

Female Dog, Non-Stop Crying, Wining, and Barking [ 5 Answers ]

My name is Joel. I just recently adopted a 4 year old, Weimaraner/Lab mix. All day long she is crying, wining, and barking. We have tried ignoring her, rewarding for being quiet, everything, even a bark collar. Nothing has shown improvement. We live on an urban street and we cannot have her...

My Dog Won't Stop Barking at Me! [ 3 Answers ]

I love my dog & I take him to the dog park to run everyday. My question is two-part. 1) Why doesn't he bother with the other dogs much. If he meets other dogs on the street or in a home, he is social & plays with them. But in the dog park he is just zoned in on the tennis balls or sticks. 2) ...

Dog who won't stop barking [ 2 Answers ]

I have a sheltie who is almost two years old. She was rescued from a pet store that was going out of business. After purchasing her I found out that they had her in a crate with a much older animal who would "bully" her around. Her first few months involved her being extremely skiddish and it...

Dog won't stop barking! [ 1 Answers ]

My dog just won't try barking!! He's an american bulldog and he is pretty lazy.. I tried everything! I tried to see if he needs attention, if he needs to go outside, if he's hungry(or thirsty), and if he wants a spot to sit down... NOTHING worked!! PLEASE HELP ME Thanks...

View more questions Search