Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKA_ATK Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2010, 08:45 PM
    Tongue Piercing
    I have descussed getting piercings with my mom before but she was kind of against it.I waited awhile and asked her again and she was lighter about it. So I am planning to ask her again and I was wondering if anybody had some sugestions? And I would appreciate it if you didn't say my parents are bad if they let me get it. Oh by the way I'm 13.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 11:11 PM

All I can suggest is that you fully investigate the pros and cons. Make yourself knowledgeable and show your mom what you have learned about the risks, how it is done, how to care for it etc. I would think after that you two could discuss if you should get it done or not. That would show your mom that you have thought it out and looked at all angles of getting it done.

Susan
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 11:40 PM

If this is what you want and your parents agree, than that's their choice.

If my kids asked me the answer would be no. If they still want a tongue piercing when they're adults, than that's fine, but as children no way.

There are many risks, not only could you loose you taste, but your teeth will suffer too as most people play with their tongue ring and ruin the enamel on their teeth.

My cousins daughter (22) has a tongue ring and she's had to spend over $5000 on dental bills since she got it.

Do your research. Is it worth it?
    braleighb13 Posts: 25, Reputation: 4

Dec 29, 2010, 10:02 AM
    I'm not sure about licensing in Canada, but that's illegal as all hell in the United States, it's considered mutilation of a minor until you're at LEAST 16. Unless the law is different, I would honestly wait as long as you can because a shop that's going to ignore that rule is going to ignore a lot of other rules and you could end up in trouble.

And seriously, do research beyond this site because statements like "you could lose your taste," are not only absurd, they're just factually incorrect. I would suggest bme.com

I've had my tongue pierced for nearly 15 years now and I have NO dental problems because of my tongue ring. I've also worked in a tattoo/parlor piercing shop for more than two years now and have yet to see a single person with a single complication from a well-placed tongue piercing beyond the initial swelling and discomfort from being pierced. Even the International Dental Society said the risk to teeth is minimal with tongue piercing, with less than 3% of people having dental problems related to the piercing. Chipped teeth, gum recession and other dental problems can be avoided by a combination of good placement and good jewelry. You can get fantastic porcelain veneers for way less than $5K so I'm not sure how you're niece got taken for a ride, but she did. No barbell in the world did that much damage to her teeth. None. Not even a giant gauge with bad placement would do that.

A few people HAVE swallowed jewelry while eating or sleeping, clearly a danger, but that's easily avoided by checking the balls on the bar to make sure they're secure. (I do it when I brush my teeth in the morning and night and I've never had jewelry come loose on me.)

I would do all of your research and then sit your mum down and tell her what you want to do. Find a shop so clean you could eat off the floor in the waiting room, someone with a huge portfolio who has done tons of tongue piercings. Get her to say yes, then wait another 6 months to a year before you get it done to make sure you still really want it.

Like I said, I've had mine for nearly 15 years and never had a complaint nor problem with the piercing or the jewelry.
    jsje2010 Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2011, 03:34 PM
    I was 14 when I first got mine done. I suggest just doing research on the pros and cons and sit down and explain to them why you want it. There could be a reason they do not want you to get it done such as the side effects.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tongue piercing, need answers, swollen tongue, don't know what to do, is this normal? [ 5 Answers ]

I got my tongue pierced 5 days ago, and its still really swollen, I can't talk properly, can't eat and its sooooo uncomfortable. There is also stuff that looks furry all over my tongue, I went back to my piercer and he said just to clean it with a soft bristle toothbrush, but it still comes back. I...

Tongue piercing rubber band from spacer stuck in tongue [ 3 Answers ]

6 years ago had my tongue pierced, no problems; about 3 months afterwards, I used a clear spacer w/clear small rubber band to keep it open---well, the piercing got extremely sore and when I went to take the spacer out, it seems that the clear rubber band either got stuck while taking the spacer...

Tongue piercing [ 5 Answers ]

I am getting my tongue pierced on Tuesday where can I find a spacer for a tongue ring. Also if I find a spacer can the piercer use that as my barbell. I'm not supposed to have facial piercings for my job?

Tongue Piercing, white tongue, ulcer spot? [ 3 Answers ]

Pierced it 5 days ago. Situated in front of the pierced hole, there is what appears to be an 'ulcer' type looking spot. Can anyone shed some light for me please?:(

View more questions Search